Ludvig M. Sollid heads a group that studies coeliac disease to understand the interplay between genetic and environmental factors in chronic inflammatory disorders.
Ludvig M. Sollid
About the group
Our group is striving to understand what happens when the body's defense from disease, the immune system, directly or indirectly causes harm to the body.
Coeliac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes, and multiple sclerosis are examples of autoimmune disorders of a chronic inflammatory nature.
We are concentrating on coeliac disease as a model to understand the molecular mechanisms leading to chronic inflammatory disease.
Research in the group has lead to a better understanding of the molecular basis of coeliac disease, but also reveal general principles of immune regulation that are applicable to other immune-mediated disorders.
The Sollid group is part of the Department of Immunology at UiO and OUS and is located at OUS-Rikshospitalet.
The group runs projects focusing on:
- B cells and the auto-antibody response of coeliac disease.
- How certain variants of HLA molecules predispose to disease development.
- Characterisation of how T cells recognise gluten protein, the dietary antigen precipitating coeliac disease.
- How transglutaminase (TG) 2 mediated post-translational protein modification increases antigenicity.
Read more about coeliac disease.
- Qiao SW, Ráki M, Gunnarsen KS, Løset GÅ, Lundin KE, Sandlie I, Sollid LM. Posttranslational modification of gluten shapes TCR usage in celiac disease. J Immunol. 2011 Sep 15;187(6):3064-71.
- Di Niro R, Mesin L, Zheng NY, Stamnaes J, Morrissey M, Lee JH, Huang M, Iversen R, du Pré MF, Qiao SW, Lundin KE, Wilson PC, Sollid LM. High abundance of plasma cells secreting transglutaminase 2-specific IgA autoantibodies with limited somatic hypermutation in celiac disease intestinal lesions.
Nat Med. 2012 Feb 26;18(3):441-5.
- Sollid LM and Jabri B. Triggers and drivers of autoimmunity: lessons from coeliac disease. Nat Rev Immunol. 2013 Apr;13(4):294-302.
- Steinsbø Ø, Henry Dunand CJ, Huang M, Mesin L, Salgado-Ferrer M, Lundin KE, Jahnsen J, Wilson PC, Sollid LM. Restricted VH/VL usage and limited mutations in gluten-specific IgA of coeliac disease lesion plasma cells. Nat Commun. 2014 Jun 9;5:4041.