Application and Admission
The PhD programme has four admission periods a year, but you can hand in your application throughout the year. Please note that all necessary information must be included with your application before you send it to your institute.
Quick guide on how to apply for admission
1. Check the deadlines for admission.
2. Do you meet the necessary requirements for admission?
3. Familiarize yourself with what the application should contain.
4. Find out if you are employed at the University of Oslo or not.
The PhD programme has four admissions a year.
Our institutes accept applications throughout the year.
Requirements for admission
Familiarize yourself with the regulations for the degree of PhD before you apply for admission.
To be admitted to the PhD programme you must have completed at least five years of higher education, i.e. a master's degree or equivalent studies. In exceptional cases the faculty can admit, after an evaluation of the scope and quality of a programme, an applicant with a one year master's degree.
- The average grade given at bachelor's level should be no less than grade C.
- Subjects at master's level should have an average grade of no less than grade B.
- Master Thesis should have grade B or better.
The grade requirements do not apply for applicants with a Norwegian cand.med. degree or any other Norwegian higher education degree where only grades pass or fail are given.
English language skills
International applicants must document their English language skills.
You must be able to document project funding.
- You must have a minimum of two supervisors. One of your supervisors must be employed at the faculty.
- The principal supervisor should as a general rule be internal and employed at the faculty. When relevant for the project, a candidate can submit a short summary giving his/her reasons for choosing an external principal supervisor.
- If the principal supervisor is external, the co-supervisor must be internal, i.e. employed at the faculty.
The application must include the following:
- Project description (ref. § 22.214.171.124 of Supplementary rules for PhD).
- Confirmation of funding for minimum 1 year.
- Certified true copies of diploma and transcript of records.
You do not need to enclose copy of your diploma if you have taken your degree at UiO.
- Copy of signed employment contract.
- A plan for the elective component of the educational component, i.e. plan for 20 credits (ECTS) of 30 credits (ECTS).
- A plan for completing the project within the prescribed admission period.
- If relevant, agreement with an external party and documentation of English language skills.
Who should fill out the agreement with an external party?
Candidates who are not employed at the University of Oslo must fill out the agreement with an external party. Two copies of the agreement should be enclosed with the application.
Being employed at a university hospital is not the same as being employed at the University.
The agreement must be signed by a person who has the authority to commit the external party, often the immediate leader. Your supervisor should as a general rule not commit the external party.
Documentation of English language skills
International applicants should enclose results of TOEFL or IELTS-test results.
See § 5.1.3 of the Supplementary rules pertaining to the Regulations.
What happens to incomplete applications?
- You will get an email if your application is incomplete.
- You must forward incomplete documentation within six weeks.
- Your application will be regarded as withdrawn if the incomplete documentation is not submitted within six weeks.
Handing in your application
Your application should be quality controlled and signed by the Head of the Institute before it can be processed at the faculty.
- Send or hand in your application to your institute.
- Applications can be submitted to the institutes throughout the year.
- Your institute will forward your application to the faculty.
Institute of Health and Society
Visiting address: Institute administration, contact person Ilze Gehe, Fredrik Holsts hus, Kirkeveien 166
Postal address: Institute for Health and Society, P.o. box 1130 Blindern, 0318 Oslo
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences
Visiting address: Human resources administration, Domus Medica, Gaustad, Sognsveien 9, 2nd floor
Postal address: Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Human resources administration, P.o. box 1110 Blindern, 0317 Oslo
Institute of Clinical Medicine
Your application should be submitted to one of the following places:
- Reception desk, Søsterhjemmet, Ullevål, building 2, entrance A, 2nd floor
- Reception desk, Rikshospitalet, B1.3099
- Ahus, contact person Berit Lund Opheim, Building Nye Nord, 4th floor
Postal address: Institute of Clinical Medicine, P.o. box 1171 Blindern, 0318 Oslo
When can I expect an answer to my application?
You can expect an answer to your application 4 weeks after the faculty's admission periods.