ERC Starting Grant 2018
The ERC Starting Grant is now open for applications with deadline 17 October 2017. ERC offers highly attractive funding for ambitious researchers with groundbreaking research ideas.
Starting Grants in brief
- Starting grants (StG) support individual researchers of any age and nationality who pursue groundbreaking research in all scientific and technological areas.
- The applicant shall have been rewarded PhD 2-7 years prior to 1 January 2018. Cut-off dates: PhD from 1 January 2011 to 31 December 2015 (inclusive). Extensions can be accepted in certain documented circumstances.
- A competitive Starting Grant Principal Investigator must have already shown the potential for research independence and evidence of maturity, for example by having produced at least one important publication as main author or without the participation of their PhD supervisor.
- StG does not require international cooperation and the only evaluation criterion is scientific excellence.
- ERC encourages proposals that cross disciplinary boundaries, present pioneering ideas that address new and emerging fields or applications, as well as introduce unconventional and innovative approaches.
Funding and duration
You can apply for up to € 1.5 million for a period of up to 5 years.
However, up to an additional EUR 500 000 can be requested in some circumstances (i.e equipment, start-up costs, access to facilities etc.).
Please see the Work Programme for all details.
You will find the call text Application submission in the EU participant portal.
We are here to help
The External Funding Unit provides support to the Faculty's researchers through the whole application process. Please contact us if you are planning to apply for ERC Starting Grant!