Andrea Sylvia Winkler
- Global Medicine/Global Health
- Global Mental Health in low income countries
- Clinical Neurology
- Basic Neurosciences
Active Major Research projects
- German Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) within Research Networks for Health Innovation in sub-Saharan Africa (CYSTINET-Africa) 2015, supporting work related to T. solium cysticercosis health networks
- European Union (European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP)) and German Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) within Diagnostic Tools for Poverty-Related Diseases (SOLID) 2016, supporting work related to the evaluation of T. solium cysticercosis diagnostic tools in Africa
Medical education and research degrees
|1987-1994||Medical school, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany|
Thesis (MD) in basic neurosciences, Institute of Surgical Research, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany (outcome: “summa cum laude”)
|1996-2000||Ph.D in clinical neuroscience and medicine, King's College Hospital, London, UK|
|2007||“Facharzt” (specialist neurologist) exam|
|2008-2012||Habilitation (German equivalent of “Ph.D”) in Global Neurology/Global Health, Department of Neurology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany|
|Since 2013||Lecturer of Global Neurology/Global Health, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich|
|2011-2016||Consultant Neurologist, Department of Neurology, Technical University of Munich, Germany|
|Since 2011||Head of the Munich Global Neurology Group, Department of Neurology, Technical University of Munich, Germany|
|Since 2016||Chair of Global Health and Director of the Centre for Global Health, University of Oslo|
In addition to neurology I practiced in various medical specialities (neurology, internal medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, accident and emergency) abroad (UK, France, Brazil and Tanzania) over more than 10 years. I have also a three-year experience of tropical medicine.
My special interest lies with poverty-related diseases of the infectious as well as non-infectious nature, zoonotic diseases (especially those that affect the central nervous system e.g. neurocysticercosis) with the ensuing One-Health concept, global palliative care as well as migrant medicine.
During the last years I was successful in gaining multinational big research grants together with national and international colleagues for research and capacity building in sub-Saharan Africa. The results of my African research were published well, some of them in internationally highly ranking journals. In addition, my scientific activities got attention from local newspapers and magazines and I maintain good relationships with the local press in Munich as well as some German national newspapers and magazines (e.g. der Spiegel).
My academic network is internationally broad and includes organization like the WHO and the CDC in Atlanta, USA. I have supervised/am still supervising 37 Masters and PhD students in Germany and Africa and I teach students of all levels Neurology and Global Medicine/Global Health.
List of publications (pdf)
- Föger, Kathrin; Gora-Stahlberg, Gina; Sejvar, James; Ovuga, Emilio; Jilek-Aall, Louise; Schmutzhard, Erich; Kaiser, Christoph & Winkler, Andrea Sylvia (2017). Nakalanga syndrome: clinical characteristics, potential causes, and its relationship with recently described Nodding syndrome. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. ISSN 1935-2727. 11:e0005201(2), s 1- 15 . doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0005201
- Barbe, Barbara; Verdonck, Kristien; Mukendi, Deby; Lejon, Veerle; Lilo Kalo, Jean-Roger; Alirol, Emilie; Gillet, Philippe; Horie, Ninon; Ravinetto, Raffaella; Bottieau, Emmanuel; Yansouni, Cedric; Winkler, Andrea Sylvia; van Loen, Harry; Boelaert, Marleen; Lutumba, Pascal & Jacobs, Jan (2016). The Art of Writing and Implementing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Laboratories in Low-Resource Settings: Review of Guidelines and Best Practices. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. ISSN 1935-2727. 10(11) . doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0005053
- Janssens, AI; Ruytings, M; Al-Chalabi, Ammar; Chio, Adriano; Hardiman, Orla; Mcdermott, CJ; Meyer, Thomas; Mora, Gabriele; Van Damme, Philip; Van Den Berg, Leonard H; Vanhaecht, Kris; Winkler, Andrea Sylvia; Sermeus, Walter & FOR THE ALS-CARE, Consortium (2016). A mapping review of international guidance on the management and care of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration. ISSN 2167-8421. 17(5-6), s 325- 336 . doi: 10.3109/21678421.2016.1167911
- Kurz, Christian; Schmidt, V; Poppert, H; Wilkins, P.; Noh, John; Poppert, Sven; Schlegel, Julia Dorothea; Delbridge, C; da Costa, CP & Winkler, Andrea Sylvia (2016). An Unusual Presentation of Neurocysticercosis: A Space-Occupying Lesion in the Fourth Ventricle Associated with Progressive Cognitive Decline. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. ISSN 0002-9637. 94(1), s 172- 175 . doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.15-0099.
- Schmidt, Veronika; Kositz, Christian; Herbinger, Karl-Heinz; Carabin, Helene; Ngowi, Bernard; Naman, Ezra; Wilkins, Patricia P.; Noh, John; Matuja, William & Winkler, Andrea Sylvia (2016). Association between Taenia solium infection and HIV/AIDS in northern Tanzania: A matched cross sectional-study. Infectious Diseases of Poverty. ISSN 2049-9957. 5(1) . doi: 10.1186/s40249-016-0209-7
- Spencer, PS; Kitara, DL; Gazda, S & Winkler, Andrea Sylvia (2016). Nodding syndrome: 2015 international conference report and Gulu accord. eNeurologicalSci. ISSN 2405-6502. 3, s 80- 83 . doi: doi: 10.1016/j.ensci.2015.11.001
- Storz, Corinna; Schutz, Christina; Tluway, Anthony; Matuja, William; Schmutzhard, Erich & Winkler, Andrea Sylvia (2016). Clinical findings and management of patients with meningitis with an emphasis on Haemophilus influenzae meningitis in rural Tanzania. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. ISSN 0022-510X. 366, s 52- 58 . doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2016.04.044
- Trevisan, C; Devleesschauwer, Brecht; Schmidt, Veronika; Winkler, Andrea Sylvia; Harrison, W & Johansen, MW (2016). The societal cost of Taenia solium cysticercosis in Tanzania.. Acta Tropica. ISSN 0001-706X. 165, s 141- 154 . doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2015.12.021.