Studies into the foundation of ethics in nursing and medicine, including care ethics and ethics of proximity. Of particular interest is the relationship between moral sensitivity and clinical knowledge.
My other main interest is to study value choices and dilemmas in clinical priorities in nursing and medicine. The question concerning partiality and impartiality in health care priorities is of particular interest in this regard.
I also have an interest in the role of parents and family in deciding for children and noncompetent patients. This includes the role of advanced directives and proxy decisions in health care. Keyword here is shared decisionmaking.
I teach courses in ethics at the medical schoool at all levels, including supervision of phD students and medical students in their thesis. Additionally I teach research ethics and medical ethics at the master of international public health.
- Professor and leader of the Center for Medical Ethics
- Adjunct professor at Oslo University High School, Faculty of nursing
- Doctor in Political Science, University of Oslo 1996
- Associate professor in Nursing Science 1996 – 2003
- Master in Nursing Science 1988
- Specialist nurse anesthetist Rikshospitalet 1983
- Associate editor of Nursing Philosophy and Nursing Research .
- Referee in Journal of Medical Ethics, Medicine Health Care and Philosophy, Nursing Inquiry and Nursing Ethics.
- Part member of PGD extemption Board, Oslo dep, Norway.
- Professor Steve Edwards, University of Swansea, UK,
- Professor Chris Gastmans, Catholic University of Leuven Belgium