Cardiovascular and Renal Research Group
The research group is engaged in researcher initiated studies of hypertension as a risk factor for cardiovascular and renal disease. We want to improve our understanding of the patients' perspectives by investigating new methods to improve adherence to antihypertensive medications.
Fra venstre: Inger Ariansen, Tonje Amb Aksnes, Camilla Lund Søraas, Pavel Hoffmann, Anne Cecilie K. Larstorp, Aud-Eldrid Stenehjem, Vibeke N. Kjær, Kristian Engeseth, Fadl E. M. F. El Mula, Sverre E. Kjeldsen, Aud Høieggen, Nanna Von der Lippe, Ulla P. Hjørnholm, Marianne Nesheim, Eigil Fossum, Morten Rostrup
Foto: Øystein H. Horgmo/UiO
The research group works hard to contribute to up-to-date research on global key issues within the field of hypertension, by conducting randomized controlled trials, observational studies, and registry-based studies, in an interdisciplinary and collaborative environment.
For many years, the group has done research on the pathophysiological influence of the autonomic nervous system on the cardiovascular- and renal system. For the last 5-6 years we have conducted clinical trials on treatment-resistant hypertension and renal denervation.
In light of the group’s continuous focus on current global key issues in the field of hypertension, as well as the group’s interdisciplinary profile and collaboration with different academic institutes, our focus is now on investigating methods to improve adherence to antihypertensive medications and elucidating patients’ perspectives, and on the important role of user involvement.
The research group has a long-term goal of increasing evidence-based knowledge in clinical cardiovascular and renal research in general and in particular to obtain a better understanding of pathophysiological mechanisms in hypertension and treatment of hypertension.
- Researcher-initiated high-quality research
- Interdisciplinary profile (various professions and medical specialties)
- Broad collaboration locally, nationally and internationally
- European Society of Hypertension Center of Excellence
- Extensive activities as peer reviewers and members of editorial boards in national and international journals
- Editor-in-Chief for the hypertension journal “Blood Pressure” (Sverre E. Kjeldsen)
- Researcher among the world’s most cited (Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researchers List 2014 and 2016)
The daily research activities are maintained by two permanent employees, nurse and bioengineer, a postdoc researcher (MD), as well as research fellows. Medical students (Forskerlinjestudenter) are also involved in the group’s research projects.
Our research group has collaboration with several national and international institutions.
- Nyremedisinsk forskergruppe, UiO og OUS
- Senter for klinisk hjerteforskning, UiO
- Institutt for medisinske basalfag, Avd. for medisinsk atferdsvitenskap, UiO og OUS
- Institutt for eksperimentell medisinsk forskning, UiO og OUS
- Kardiologisk avdeling, UiO og OUS
- Avdeling for Farmakologi, UiO og OUS
- Avdeling for radiologi og nukleærmedisin, UiO og OUS
- Vestre Viken - Kongsberg Sykehus
- Haukeland universitetssykehus
- St. Olav Hospital
- Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge
- Milano Hypertension Excellence Centre, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, University of Milano
- Hopital Europeén Georges Pompidou
- Medical University of Gdansk
- North Estonia Medical Centre
- ENCOReD Network - 19 sentre i 15 europeiske land
- KU Leuven Department of Cardiovascular Sciences
- University of Michigan, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Division of Cardiology, New York
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Sahlgrenska Universitetssjukhuset
- Imperial College London
- Helsingfors Universitetet
- Rigshospitalet i København
- Odense Universitetshospital