EMBL in Norway
This is a special event, designed to inform and educate Norwegian researchers about the opportunities and resources available at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
Opportunities at the EMBL
This is a special event, aimed at raising awareness of the fantastic opportunities available at the EMBL (European Molecular Biology Laboratory), and to strengthen ties and explore collaboration and resource opportunities between EMBL, its alumni, and networks.
The event is also open to anyone who might be interested in studying or working at the EMBL, at Master’s, PhD or postdoctorate level.
Speakers include EMBL staff, fellows and alumni from leading universities and scientific organisations, industry, medical hospitals, and the ministry in Norway, as well as representatives from the Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP), the European Research Council and EMBL's partner institute in Norway.
The talks will be short and informal. They are scheduled from 09:00-17:00, followed by a drinks reception.
Register via Eventbrite. Please note this event is free to attend but you must register.
Friday 29 September
9:00-9:10: Welcome address
- Gareth Griffiths: Welcome address, EMBL in Norway
- Rein Aasland: Welcome to University of Oslo and Department of Biosciences
09:10-10:50: Introducing EMBL and Norway
- Matthias Hentze, EMBL and what it can offer Norwegian science
- Tor Erik Rusten, Life at EMBL as a PhD student from Norway
- Harald Stenmark, Life at EMBL as a postdoc from Norway
- Carina Vibe and Øyvind Ødegård, Life at EMBL as Norwegian PhD students
10:50-11:20: Coffee Break
11:20-12:40: The role of EMBL, EMBO, HFSP for Norway
- Jacob Wang, EMBL from a Norwegian science policy perspective
- Warwick Anderson, HFSP: funding basic life science research at the frontier
- Matthias Hentze, EMBO presented by an EMBO Member
12:40-13:40 Lunch (Auditorium foyer)
13:40-15:00: EMBL and its broader perspectives
- Alba Diz-Muno, Life as a group leader at EMBL
- Finn-Hugo Markussen, An EMBL alumnus - now in the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research
- UiO: Life Science: the concept and similarities to EMBL
- Kjetil Tasken, Centre for Molecular Medicine Norway - Nordic EMBL Partnership, University of Oslo (NCMM)
- Daniel Chourrout, Sars Centre for Marine Molecular Biology, Bergen- EMBL Partnership, University of Bergen
15:05-15:30 Coffee Break
15:30-17:10: What makes EMBL so special: personal experiences of alumni
- Rune Kjeken, Senior Advisor, Norwegian Medicine Agency
- Patrick Steinmetz, Group Leader, The Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology, Bergen
- Lisbeth Charlotte Olsen, Associate Professor, University of Bergen
- Oddmund Bakke, Professor, University of Oslo
- Kristian Prydz, Professor, University of Oslo
- Morten Egeberg, Administrative Leader, UiO:Life science
- Gareth Griffiths, Professor, University of Oslo
- Mehrnoosh Rayner, Head of EMBL Alumni Relations, Closing remarks