My field of research is the concept of evidence based medicine and how clinical knowledge is developed.
My research study aims to discover the epistemological assumptions in knowledge creation, based on the concept of mindlines: collectively shared, mostly tacit knowledge that is shaped by many sources including accumulated personal experiences, education (formal and informal). It involves ethnographic methods focusing on guideline developing panels and online communities of clinicians as well as organising several seminars on the subject.
Currently I work as a research fellow at the University of Oslo as well the university of Oxford. As a GP, I'm clinically active in Amsterdam and London. I trained at Leiden University in the Netherlands. In 2006 I obtained a Master in Healthcare Management at the University of Rotterdam. Previously, I held a research fellowship at Queen Mary University in London, worked on medical leadership and was a student of the Harvard Medical School Global Clinical Scholars Research Training.
2016- Scientia Research Fellow at the Center for Health Sciences Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo.
2014- Member standing committee for the update of clinical guidelines at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.(NICE).
2012-2014 NIHR In Practice Research Fellow at the Centre for Primary Care & Public Health at the Barts & The London School of Medicine & Dentistry, focusing on knowledge creation, guideline development and real EBM in healthcare under supervision of professor Trisha Greenhalgh.
2012-2015 Co-lead research team Platform Medical Leadership and University Twente, producing the national medical leadership framework in the Netherlands (RML), launched September 2015.
2009-2015 Founder and board member Platform Medical Leadership (PML) in the Netherlands. The platform aims to research, promote and develop the concept of leadership and management in healthcare, bringing together doctors in general practice, secondary care and public healthcare.
2009-2012 Member of the HAWeb.nl development and implementation team. HAWeb.nl is a nationwide virtual professional network for GP’s and their co-workers from the Dutch College for GP’s (NHG) and the National Association of GP’s (LHV).
Wieringa S, Greenhalgh T. 10 years of mindlines : a systematic review and commentary. Implement Sci. 2015;(2015):1–11.
Greenhalgh T, Wieringa, S. Is it time to drop the ‘knowledge translation’ metaphor? A critical literature review. J R Soc Med December 2011 vol. 104 no. 12 501-509
Engebretsen E, Heggen K, Wieringa S, Greenhalgh T. Uncertainty and objectivity in clinical decision making: a clinical case in emergency medicine. Med Health Care Philos [Internet]. Springer Netherlands; June 2016.
- Wieringa, Sietse; Dreesens, Dunja; Forland, Frida Aune; Hulshof, Carel; Lukersmith, Sue; Macbeth, Fergus; Shaw, Beth; van Vliet, Arlène & Zuiderent-Jerak, Teun (2018). Different knowledge, different styles of reasoning: a challenge for guideline development. BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine. ISSN 2515-446X. 23(3), s 87- 91 . doi: 10.1136/bmjebm-2017-110844 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wieringa, Sietse; Engebretsen, Eivind; Heggen, Kristin & Greenhalgh, Trisha (2018). How knowledge is constructed and exchanged in virtual communities of physicians: Qualitative study of Mindlines Online. Journal of Medical Internet Research. ISSN 1438-8871. 20(2), s 1- 14 . doi: 10.2196/jmir.8325 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wieringa, Sietse; Engebretsen, Eivind; Heggen, Kristin & Greenhalgh, Trisha (2018). Rethinking Bias and Truth in Evidence-based Healthcare. Journal of Evaluation In Clinical Practice. ISSN 1356-1294. 24(5), s 930- 938 . doi: 10.1111/jep.13010 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wieringa, Sietse; Engebretsen, Eivind; Heggen, Kristin & Greenhalgh, Trisha (2017). Has evidence-based medicine ever been modern? A Latour-inspired understanding of a changing EBM. Journal of Evaluation In Clinical Practice. ISSN 1356-1294. 23(5), s 964- 970 . doi: 10.1111/jep.12752 Full text in Research Archive.
- Elwyn, Glyn; Wieringa, Sietse & Greenhalgh, Trisha (2016). Clinical encounters in the post-guidelines era. BMJ-BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL. ISSN 1756-1833. 353:i3200 . doi: 10.1136/bmj.i3200
- Engebretsen, Eivind; Heggen, Kristin; Wieringa, Sietse & Greenhalgh, Trish (2016). Uncertainty and objectivity in clinical decision making: a clinical case in emergency medicine. Medicine, Health care and Philosophy. ISSN 1386-7423. 19(4), s 595- 603 . doi: 10.1007/s11019-016-9714-5