Admission of PhD candidates to Helsam
Find out who is responsible for the different parts of the application process:
1) The nomination committee
If you are applying for a doctoral research fellowship at the Institute of Health and Society, it is the nomination committee that must make sure that the academic part of the application is viable. Please note that an application for a fellowship and an application for admission to the PhD programme are two different application processes. Anyone who is going to do a PhD, regardless of place of employment, must apply for admission to the PhD programme.
is responsible for quality assurance of the academic part of the application if the candidate is not employed by Helsam.
- If adequate academic evaluation of a candidate is not made by the funding body, evaluation must be made by the proposed principal supervisor as well as an academic employee at the department/institute. If in such cases the principal supervisor is external, the application must be evaluated by two academic employees at the department/institute in addition to the principal supervisor. Use form regarding PhD project evaluation (in Norwegian).
- If a candidate is not employed by Helsam, the supervisor is also responsible for checking formal qualifications.
- Ethical approval from REC/NSD/Data Protection Official etc. must be presented. When approval from REC/NSD/Data Protection Official etc. is not presented at the time of application, approval must be forwarded later.
3) Head of Department
is responsible for making sure that the application complies with the department’s research strategy and capacity.
- Formal qualifications of external supervisors must be checked.
- Head of Department must also assess the environment and supervisor’s capacity for taking on new PhD-candidates.
4) Candidate and supervisor
are responsible for making sure that all necessary documentation is enclosed with the application.
5) Candidate and supervisor
submit the application and all attachments to the faculty. See information about handing in the application .