Leadership course 2: Research Management and Supervision
This course focuses on research management and supervision of PhD- and master students.
The course has two main goals: a) to support you in developing research management and leadership capabilities, and b) to help you develop your knowledge, attitudes, and skills with regard to supervision. The two topics are closely connected because supervision is an important part of research leadership. The course has two modules, each over two days, and a hallf day workshop.
The supervision module encompasses the following topics:
- The supervisor-candidate relationship
- Giving feed back
- Supervision in medical academic writing
- Ethical aspects and dilemmas
- Phases in the supervision trajectory
- Institutional contexts / the PhD Programme
The module on research management focuses on the following topics:
- Understanding leadership in a research context
- Developing research organizations
- From strategic management to strategic leadership
- Culture and personal leadership
- Portfolio leadership
The course provides both theoretical introductions and practical training. Working methods include presentation, case-work, experience-sharing, individual tasks and group discussions.
Expected learning outcomes
- know how to establish, organize and lead a research team
- be able to set goals and make plans for the work of the group
- be a professional supervisor of research students
- be aware of your ethical responsibilities, qualifications and limitations as a supervisor.
Professor Eivind Engebretsen has the academic responsibility for the course.
Course leader of the module on research management is MD PhD Lars Christian Lassen, partner in Mobilize Strategy Consulting.
Course leaders of the supervision module are professor Eivind Engebretsen and professor Kristin Heggen, Faculty of Medicine UiO.
You must attend at least 80 per cent of the course in order to be allowed to take the exam. Attendance will be registered.
The examination will be in the form of reflection not (max 4 A4).
The reflection note will be assessed as accepted / not accepted.
The grading is based on the pass/fail system.
The course gives 5 ECTS.
Course dates and venue
Module on Supervision: October 10-11, and October 31
Module on Research Management: November 21-22
The course modules will take place at Holmen Fjordhotell. Participants are invited and encouraged to stay at Holmen Fjordhotell during the course. Accommodation and meals are covered by the Faculty of Medicine, UiO.
The workshop will take place at Sogn Arena (Undredal) 31.October.
Registration and course fee
Signing up for the course, you are committed to attend the whole course, including preparatory activities.
Please note that unless you are employed by the Faculty of Medicine (University of Oslo), you must confirm that your employer will pay the fee of 10.000 NOK for your admission to the course.
- 1. September
To apply for the course, please fill in the application form: