Information about the coronavirus to students at the Faculty of Medicine
The University will be closed from 12 March 2020 at 6 pm. Students and employees should work from home. Updated 23 March 2020 at 13.15.
NOTE! The buildings at UiO have been open to those who will collect assets, but will be closed completely to students from Tuesday 17th of March at 15.00.
Advise against traveling abroad
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises against all international travel that is not strictly necessary. Norwegian citizens already travelling abroad should consider returning as soon as possible, in a calm and safe manner, and in dialogue with their travel agency or airline.
More information for students at the Faculty of Medicine
Because of the ongoing outbreak of the coronaviruse disease COVID-19 the Faculty of Medicine are introducing new security measures:
- The faculty will facilitate solutions that ensure the students the necessary teaching to take the exam.
- General rules for participation in compulsory education have so far been set aside. The faculty will come up with solutions that ensure the students the necessary teaching to take the exam.
The situation, and hence the recommendation, can change swiftly. We advice all employees and students to keep updated at this website. Important changes will be notified via SMS or e-mail.
Information phone for students at MED
If you are a student at MED and have questions on how the coronavirus impacts your work/studies, you may call: +47 22 84 40 10 (open 09.00-15.45 on weekdays. Closed during the Easter holiday.)
Two quarantine forms are distinguished: home quarantine and home insulation. For both quarantine forms, compulsory absence from teaching and practice in the health service applies to prevent infection of patients.
- Home quarantine: See practical information from FHI about home quarantine.
- Home isolation: See practical information from FHI about home isolation.
1. You are in practice in modules 5 and 7 of the medical study
You must adhere to the guidelines at the practice site. If, due to circumstances at the practice site, it becomes necessary to terminate the practice, you will be notified.
2. You are a student who have been exposed to coronavirus infection
- Students who have been in contact with infected people in the past 14 days must not attend lectures but remain on home quarantine for 14 days.
- Students who have traveled to other countries (except Sweden and Finland) must remain in home quarantine for 14 days. This is retroactive from 27 February.
- In the event of symptoms of upper respiratory infection or general influenza symptoms, call GP, SIO Health or emergency room. Important: Do not show up at the doctor or the emergency room, but stay home and contact by phone.
- The Norwegian Institute of Public Health has up to date information on its website.
You can call your GP, emergency room or SIO Health if you have questions related to your own health and coronavirus. If you want to use SiO Health as a GP, you must register this with Helsenorge.no. A switch will then take effect immediately. Contact SiO Health on: 22 85 33 00.
Advice and information about the coronavirus disease COVID-19:
- For health care professionals: +47 21 07 70 00 (office hours), Outside office hours: +47 21 07 63 48.
- For the public: +47 815 55 015