Welcome to a new course in the statistical package Stata. The course is aimed at PhD. candidates, Post Doctors and Researchers in Medical Statistics and Epidemiology in general.
Stata is statistical software for data science and an alternative to packages like SPSS, R or SAS. The buzzwords: "Obtain and manipulate data. Explore. Visualize. Model. Make inferences.”
The course is“open” and participants can attend those parts of the course that are of most interest. The upside of this is that there is no fee, no attendance sheets and no exam! The downside is that the course will not give any credits in the Ph.d. program.
The courses will be held on Zoom. If you are interested in joining, please register by clicking on the session link for each of the sessions you plan to attend.
You can find course material (Presentations, Syntax and Data) at the end of this page.
Teachers: Hein Stigum, Jonathan Wörn.
You can sign up for later sessions at any time before the session.
The course will have lectures in 3 levels:
- Beginner: No previous experience in Stata.
- Elementary: General knowledge of using Stata (as in the two beginners courses)
- Advanced: Experience in Stata use (as given by the elementary courses)
In addition, some experience in data handling and statistical analysis will make understanding easier. We are targeting Ph.d. candidates, Post Doctors and Researchers in Medical Statistics and Epidemiology in general.
The course will have 3 hours of lectures (12:30-15:30) for each theme. No laptops needed. We will give out exercises with solution syntaxes at the end of each lesson. Participants are encouraged to solve these on their own or in groups.
Department of Community Medicine and Global Health.
Contact: Hein Stigum
- 1 Stata Introduction (PowerPoint)
- 1 Stata Introduction (syntax)
- Birth1 (Datafil)
- 2 Graphics (PowerPoint)
- 2 Graphics (Syntax)
- Gestational Age and Birth weight (Datafile)
- 3 Linear Regression (PowerPoint)
- 3 Linear Regression (syntax)
- 3 Linear Regression HS-talk
- 4 Logistic Regression (syntax)
- 4 Logistic Regression (PowerPoint)
- 4 Logistic Regression HS talk
- 5 Flexible Parametric Survival Models (PowerPoint)
- 5.0 Program Downloads (syntax)
- 5.0 Cox Model (syntax)
- 5.1 Flexible Parametric Survival Models (syntax)
- 5 Flexible Parametric Survival, HS talk
- Melanoma (data), Kidney (data), Breast Cancer (data)
- 6 Macro, Matrix and Loop, Agenda (PowerPoint)
- 6 Macro, Matrix and Loop, Examples (syntax)
- 6 Macro, Matrix and Loop, Commands (syntax)
- 6 Macro, Matrix and Loop, HS talk
- 6 Gestational Age and Birth Weight
- Tables (Excel)
- 7 Simulating Data and Writing Programs, (PowerPoint)
- 7 Simulating Data and Writing Programs, Examples (syntax)
- 7 Simulating Data and Writing Programs, HS talk
- 7 Flexible Parametric Survival, Simulation
- 7 Sparse Data Bias (Excel)
- 7 Sparse Data Bias (PowerPoint)