RNA laboratory (Northern)
Waste management of
- Ethidium bromide
- GTC - Guanidinium Isothiocyanate
- Contaminated glass equipment
- Contaminated disposable equipment
- Used running buffer
- Gloves (nitrile gloves when handling ethidium bromide)
- Laboratory coat
- Safety glasses
Procedure for disposal
- Organic waste in special containers (chloroform, isopropanol, ethanol). The container to be labelled with the content. handled as hazardous waste.
- Contaminated disposable equipment, gels (with formamide, formaldehyde and EtBr): disposed of in yellow toxic waste containers. The container must be placed in a ventilated cabinet.
- Contaminated equipment for re-use must be rinsed in running water.
- Used running buffer is handled as an absorption medium. Used absorption media are handled as toxic waste. Read the safety data sheet that comes with the absorption medium.
Examples of absorption media
- Active carbon, activated charcoal, C3014-500G, untreated, granular, 20-60 mesh
- Destaining bags, cat. no: 730-0997
- BondEX 50 Set (5), product code M740703
Published Apr. 12, 2016 11:43 AM
- Last modified Oct. 13, 2016 8:58 AM