I develop innovative stochastic models that try to carefully represent fundamental principles, basic dynamics, intricate patterns of dependence and mechanisms of the system to be understood or predicted.
In this way, models can answer specific questions, qualitative or quantitative in nature, and posses more power. Inference is usually based on computationally intensive stochastic algorithms, like MCMC. I prefer the Bayesian approach, but many of my projects are likelihood based.
Currently, my collaborations are in cancer genomics, psychiatry, veterinary science, infectious diseases, but also in finance, insurance and climate research. I am the director of the Norwegian centre for research based innovation "Statistics for Innovation", which is funded by the Norwegian Research Council and hosted at Norsk regnesentral.
Courses taught at various levels: Statistics, Random fields, Statistical image analysis, Probability theory, Calculus, Stochastic processes, Graph theory, Markov chain Monte Carlo, Extreme value theory in actuarial and environmental sciences, Stochastic simulation, Linear models.
I have been teaching postdoctoral courses in several international summer schools. Currently I am teaching basic biostatistics for students in medicine, and some advanced courses in biostatistics at PhD level.
Since 2003, I am Professor in Statistics, at the Department of Biostatistics, University of Oslo. From 2007 i am also director of the Norwegian centre for research-based innovation “Statistics for Innovation”. I have an adjunct position (20%) at the Norwegian Computing Centre. Previoyusly I have been working at the Norwegian Computing Centre, the University of Roma III, the University of Venice and for IAC at the Italian Research Council.
See complete CV (pdf)
- Elected member of the Royal Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, Oslo, from 2008
- Elected member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences, Trondheim, from 2008
- Chairman of the Scientific Programme Committee, 9th World Congress in Probability and Statistics (IMS and Bernoulli Society), Koç University, Istanbul from July 9 to 14, 2012
- Elected Members of the Council, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, USA
- Norsk Regnesentral
- Department of Mathematics, UiO
- Department of Informatics, UiO
- Eivind Hovig group, Radiumhospitalet, OUS
- Anne Lise Børresen Dale group, Radiumhospitalet, OUS
- TOP group, Ullevåll, OUS
- Universitá La Salute San Raffaele, Milano, Italy
- Sylvia Richardson group, Imperial College, London
- Peter Guttorp group , Univ. Washington, Seattle, USA
- Gianpaolo Scalia Tomba group , Univ Roma II, Italy
- Håvard Rue, NTNU
- Many partners of Statistics for Innovation, (sfi)2, Oslo
- The Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group (DBCG), Aarhus
- Veterinærinsituttet, Oslo
- The Norwegian Metereological Institute
- Engebretsen, Solveig; Frigessi, Arnoldo; Engø-Monsen, Kenth; Furberg, Anne-Sofie; Stubhaug, Audun; De Blasio, Birgitte Freiesleben & Nielsen, Christopher Sivert (2018). The peer effect on pain tolerance. Scandinavian Journal of Pain. ISSN 1877-8860. . doi: 10.1515/sjpain-2018-0060
- Asfaw, Derbachew; Vitelli, Valeria; Sørensen, Øystein; Arjas, Elja & Frigessi, Arnoldo (2017). Time-varying rankings with the Bayesian Mallows model. Stat. ISSN 2049-1573. 6(1), s 14- 30 . doi: 10.1002/sta4.132
- Aure, Miriam Ragle; Vitelli, Valeria; Jernström, Sandra Johanna; Kumar, Surendra; Krohn, Marit; Due, Eldri Undlien; Haukaas, Tonje Husby; Leivonen, Suvi-Katri; Vollan, Hans Kristian Moen; Luders, Torben; Rødland, Einar Andreas; Vaske, Charles; Zhao, Wei; Møller, Elen Kristine; Nord, Silje; Giskeødegård, Guro F.; Bathen, Tone Frost; Caldas, Carlos; Tramm, Trine; Alsner, Jan; Overgaard, Jens; Geisler, Jürgen; Bukholm, Ida Rashida Khan; Naume, Bjørn; Schlichting, Ellen; Sauer, Torill; Mills, Gordon B.; Kåresen, Rolf; Mælandsmo, Gunhild; Lingjærde, Ole Christian; Frigessi, Arnoldo; Kristensen, Vessela N.; Børresen-Dale, Anne-Lise; Sahlberg, Kristine Kleivi & OSBREAC, Oslo Breast Cancer Consortium (2017). Integrative clustering reveals a novel split in the luminal A subtype of breast cancer with impact on outcome. Breast Cancer Research. ISSN 1465-542X. 19 . doi: 10.1186/s13058-017-0812-y Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Belay, Denekew Bitew; Kifle, Yehenew Getachew; Goshu, Ayele Taye; Gran, Jon Michael; Yewhalaw, Delenasaw; Duchateau, Luc & Frigessi, Arnoldo (2017). Joint Bayesian modeling of time to malaria and mosquito abundance in Ethiopia. BMC Infectious Diseases. ISSN 1471-2334. 17(1) . doi: 10.1186/s12879-017-2496-4
- Fleischer, Thomas; Tekpli, Xavier; Mathelier, Anthony; Wang, Shixiong; Nebdal, Daniel J.H.; Dhakal, Hari Prasad; Sahlberg, Kristine Kleivi; Schlichting, Ellen; Børresen-Dale, Anne-Lise; Borgen, Elin; Naume, Bjørn; Eskeland, Ragnhild; Frigessi, Arnoldo; Tost, Jörg; Rodriguez, Antoni Hurtado & Kristensen, Vessela N. (2017). DNA methylation at enhancers identifies distinct breast cancer lineages. Nature Communications. ISSN 2041-1723. 8(1379) . doi: 10.1038/s41467-017-00510-x Full text in Research Archive.
- Linder, Dennis; Frigessi, Arnoldo; Piaserico, Stefano & Keilman, Nico (2017). Simulating the life course of psoriasis patients: the interplay between therapy intervention and marital status. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. ISSN 0926-9959. . doi: 10.1111/jdv.14567 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Bolin, David; Frigessi, Arnoldo; Guttorp, Peter; Haug, Ola; Orskaug, Elisabeth; Scheel, Ida & Wallin, Jonas (2016). Calibrating regionally downscaled precipitation over Norway through quantile-based approaches. Advances in Statistical Climatology, Meteorology and Oceanography (ASCMO). ISSN 2364-3579. 2, s 39- 47 . doi: 10.5194/ascmo-2-39-2016 Show summary
- Crispino, Marta; Arjas, Elja; Vitelli, Valeria & Frigessi, Arnoldo (2016). Recommendation from intransitive pairwise comparisons. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. ISSN 1613-0073. 1688
- Aalen, Odd O.; Frigessi, Arnoldo; Moger, Tron Anders; Scheel, Ida; Skovlund, Eva & Veierød, Marit Bragelien (2018). Statistiske metoder i medisin og helsefag. 2. utgave. Gyldendal Akademisk. ISBN 978-82-05-50764-7. 351 s.
- Lai, Xiaoran; Kohn Luque, Alvaro; Frigessi, Arnoldo & Geier, Oliver (2017). Breast MRI as a building block for patient-specific simulations of drug effect.