NORBRAIN Super Resolution Microscopy (SRM1)
We provide expertise, services, education and training to enhance biomedical research through super-resolution-based microscopy.
The main advantage of the Zeiss ELYRA PS.1 system is that users can utilize most existing thin-section samples in a fairly turnkey environment with relatively little supervision. Photo: Gunnar F. Lothe, UiO.
Three distinct imaging modes are available, depending on the sample type:
- Structured Illumination Microscopy (SIM) is based on patterns of light being projected in the image plane and subsequent post-processing of these images to form a super resolution image. Most thin flourescent samples with standard dyes work without further processing of samples, resolution ‰250 nm. Several dyes can be used simultaneously, axial (Z) resolution is also improved (for 3D localizations), so that a wide-field image is acquired.
- Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM) is based on photoswitchable fluorophores to achieve a limited population for sampling. Special chromophores and buffers allow localizations down to ‰20 nm.
- Photo Activated Localization Microscopy (PALM) is based on the precise localization of single, sparsely spaced, fluorescent molecules. In order to achieve sparse spacing only a subset of fluorophores are activated at a time, through photoactivation. This requires special fluorophores and longer scan times to build up images. Z-resolution is improved by TIRF, but carries the same limitaions as TIRF. A resolving power of ≈20 nm (≈10X the diffraction limit) is achievable. Genetically encoded protein tags in tissue sections or cells can be localized within ‰20 nm under ideal conditions.
The main advantage of the Zeiss ELYRA PS.1 system is that users can utilize most existing thin-section samples in a fairly turnkey environment with relatively little supervision.
Equipment and software
- Zeiss ELYRA PS.1 SIM/STORM/PALM super-resolution microscope
- Software: ZEN2011 Sp2
All prices are in NOK.
|Service||Method||Price internal*||Price academic**||Price commercial**|
|Super Resolution Microscopy||SIM/STORM/PALM|
|Price per hour without technician||175||200||500|
|Price per hour with technician||550||600||950|
* UiO/NORBRAIN and/or scientific partners with cooperation contract
** 25% VAT will be added to the price