Ageing is a fundamental attributor to a variety of human pathologies, such as frailty, cancer, and many neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease.
The global elderly population is projected to substantially increase in this century; by the year 2100, 25% of the world population will be over 65 years old. This represents an international concern because of the severe socioeconomic and healthcare challenges associated with ageing.
We are fascinated with exploring the basic molecular mechanisms of human ageing and age-related diseases, with a final goal to develop interventional strategies to improve people's lifespan and healthspan.
There are three major research interests in my Laboratory, including 1) NAD+ and aging; 2) Molecular mechanisms of mitophagy and its protective roles in Alzheimer's disease; and 3) The application of artificial intelligance on drug development for Alzheimer's disease and healthy longevity.
The group possesses a vast knowledge of aging and can attack from many sides with a number of international partners. This interdisciplinary strategy allows us to work broadly, gain more knowledge and achieve fruitful results.
- Fang EF, Scheibye-Knudsen M, Brace L, Kassahun H, SenGupta T, Nilsen H, Mitchell JR, Croteau DL, Bohr VA (2014). Defective Mitophagy in XPA via PARP1 hyperactivation and NAD+/SIRT1 reduction, Cell, 157 (4): 882-896. This paper offers first evidence that compromised mitophagy exacerbates accelerated aging
- Fang EF, Kassahun H, Croteau DL, Scheibye-Knudsen M, Marosi K, Lu H, Shamanna RA, Kalyanasundaram S, Bollineni RC, Wilson MA, Iser WB, Wollman BN, Morevati M, Li J, Kerr JS, Lu Q, Waltz TB, Tian J, Sinclair DA, Mattson MP, Nilsen H, Bohr VA (2016). NAD+ replenishment improves lifespan and healthspan in Ataxia telangiectasia models via mitophagy and DNA repair, Cell Metabolism, 24, 566-581. This feature article of the issue describes NAD+ induces mitophagy through DCT-1
- Fang EF, Palikaras K, Sun N, Fivenson EM, Spangler RD, Kerr JS, Cordonnier SA, Hou Y, Dombi E, Kassahun H, Tavernarakis N, Poulton J, Nilsen H, Bohr VA. In Vitro and In Vivo Detection of Mitophagy in Human Cells, C. Elegans, and Mice, JOVE, 2017, In press. This method paper summarizes mitophagy detection methods in cross-species model systems
- Fang EF, Scheibye-Knudsen M, Chua KF, Mattson MP, Croteau DL, Bohr VA (2016). Nuclear DNA damage signalling to mitochondria in ageing, Nature Rev Mol Cell Bio, 17(5):308-321. This review paper proposes a novel concept to the aging theory
- Fang EF, Lautrup S, Hou Y, Demarest TG, Croteau DL, Mattson MP, Bohr VA. NAD+ in aging: Molecular mechanisms and translational implicationis. Trends Mol Med. 2017, in press. This Feature review summarizes latest progress of NAD+ in aging, and suggests compromised autophagy as the 10th hall marker of aging.
- Kerr JS, Adriaanse BA, Greig NH, Mattson MP, Cader MZ, Bohr VA*, Fang EF*. Mitophagy and Alzheimer’s disease: Cellular and molecular mechanisms, Trends in Neurosciences, 40(3):151-166 (*Corresponding author). This review proposes compromised mitophagy as a new concept in AD etiology.
- Fang EF*, Hou Y, Palikaras K, et al, Mattson MP, Tavernarakis N, Bohr VA*. Mitophagy inhibits Aβ and p-Tau pathologies and cognitive deficits in experimental models of Alzheimer’s disease. Nature Neuroscience, 2019, 22(3):401-412 (* corresponding author).Highlighted in Nature Reviews Drug Discovery ; News in VG (the largest newspaper in Norway, 12 Feb 2019 Issue ); News in NRKHighlighted in ALZFORUM ; University of Copenhagen; National Institute on Ageing ; ScienceNordic; NHI news; NHI Facebook
- Lautrup S, Sinclair DA, Mattson MP, Fang EF*. NAD+ in Brain Aging and Neurodegenerative Disorders. Cell Metabolism, 2019.
- Aman, Yahyah; Qiu, Yuming; Tao, Jun & Fang, Fei (2018). Therapeutic potential of boosting NAD+ in aging and age-related diseases. Translational Medicine of Aging. ISSN 2468-5011.
- Fang, Evandro Fei; Palikaras, Konstantinos; Sun, Nuo; Fivenson, Elayne M.; Spangler, Ryan D.; Kerr, Jesse S.; Cordonnier, Stephanie A.; Hou, Yujun; Dombi, Eszter; Kassahun, Henok; Tavernarakis, Nektarios; Poulton, Joanna; Nilsen, Hilde Loge & Bohr, Vilhelm A. (2017). In Vitro and In Vivo Detection of Mitophagy in Human Cells, C. Elegans, and Mice. Journal of Visualized Experiments. ISSN 1940-087X. 2017(129) . doi: 10.3791/56301
- Fang, Evandro Fei (2018). The 54th Contact Meeting of the Norwegian Biochemical Society, Norway.
- Fang, Fei (2018). DNA repair, NAD+, and mitophagy in life and health.
- Fang, Fei (2018). Mitophagy and NAD+ in neuroprotection and longevity.
- Fang, Fei (2018). Mitophagy in neuroprotection and healthy longevity.
- Fang, Fei (2018). NAD+ and DNA repair in healthy longevity.
- Fang, Fei (2018). NAD+ inhibits accelerated ageing in the Werner syndrome.
- Fang, Fei (2018). NAD+, mitophagy, and DNA repair in ageing.
- Fang, Fei (2018). The interconnected roles between DNA repair, NAD+, and mitophagy in ageing and neurodegeneration.
- Gudmundsrud, Ruben; Lautrup, Sofie; Nilsen, Hilde Loge; Bohr, Vilhelm & Fang, Fei (2018). Mitofagi i nevrodegenerasjon og aldring. BestPractice Norge. 109, s 202- 209 . doi: 10.1016/j.neuint.2017.02.007