Hanne Flinstad Harbo
I am professor of Neurology at the Institute of Clinical Medicine at the University of Oslo (UiO) and Head and senior consultant at Department of Neurology at Division of Neuroscience at Oslo University Hospital (OUH).
Both as Head of the Department of Nerology at Oslo University Hospital and Professor of Neurology and recent deputy head at Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, I have a broad interest in medicine and especially brain helath and neurology.
Both clinically and in research my work is mainly focused on diagnosis and treatment of neuroinflammatory diseases, especially MS.
I am now deputy leader of the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) research group at UiO / OUH, and I act as PI and project leader of ongoing MS research projects.The MS research group aims to identify characteristics and susceptibility factors of MS, and to contribute to a better understanding of the disease and development of better treatments.
We perform clinical and epidemiological studies, MRI studies, genetic studies and functional molecular studies in collaboration with national and international research partners and Networks.
Currently I am work-package leader and on the board of the EU-Horizon 2020-funded project "MultipleMS" http://www.multiplems.eu/ and the Biotek 2021 funded project "Sys4MS" http://www.neuroimmunologybcn.org/en/research/pathogenesis-and-novel-therapies-in-multiple-sclerosis/sys4ms/. I am the main contact for our affiliation with Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy in the MAGNIMS (Magnetic Resonance Imaging in MS) network.
- 2020- Member of Advisory commitee for medical reserach, Stiftelsen Kristian Georg Jebsen
- 2019 - Member of the Board for Resarch at Oslo University Hospital
- 2018- Leader of the Board for the Monrad-Krohn prize
- 2017- Member of the Board for the Forsberg and Aulies legat
- 2017- 2019 Convenor of International MS Genetics Cnsortium (IMSGC)
- 2016-2017 Member of advisory board for UiO: Livsvitenskap http://www.uio.no/forskning/satsinger/livsvitenskap/
- 2015-2018 Member of the Board for education at Oslo University Hospital
- 2014-2017 Leader of the Norwegian Brain Council (In Norwegian), from 2017 member of advisory board
- 2015-2017 Member of ECTRIMS council
- 2013-d.d. Member of the Governance Group of the International MS Genetics Consortium (IMSGC)
- 2003-d.d. Norwegian leader/Principle Investigator in the Nordic MS Genetics Network og International MS Genetics Consortium (IMSGC)
I teach clinical neurology at the medical school at the University of Oslo.
- Head of Department of Neurology, Oslo University Hospital since Sept. 2018
- Deputy Head, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Facuty of Medicine, Unversity of Oslo from January 2015 to end of August 2018
- Master Health Administration, UiO 2015
- Visiting professor, University of San Fransisco, USA 2011-2012 (12 months)
- Professor of neurology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, UiO from 2010
- Leader of MS research group OUS/UiO from 2003-2018
- Senior consultant, Department of Neurology, Oslo University Hospital (Ullevål) from 2003
- Dr. med (PhD) 2003, UiO
- Visiting researcher University of Cambridge, UK, 2001 (6 months)
- PhD student, thereafter postdoc at the Institute of Immunology, Rikshospitalet, Oslo 1997-2006
- Specialist in clnical neurology 1997
- Cand. med (MD) 1988, UiO
- Neuroscience Research Unit, Oslo University Hospital (Celius, Berge, Bos, Tallaksen, Zwart, Toft, Dietrichs, Heuser, Taubøll)
- Department of Neuroradiology, Oslo University Hospital (Beyer, Sowa, Due-Tønnesen, Bjørnerud)
- NORMENT (Westlye, Andreassen)
- Institute of Psychology, University of Oslo (Walhovd, Fjell, Landrø)
- Norwegian MS Registry and Biobank (Myhr)
- Institute of Basal Medical Sciences, University of Oslo (Spurkland)
- Institute of Medical Genetics, Oslo University Hospital (Lie)
- Nordic Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Network (Kochum, Oturai, Saarela)
- International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (IMSGC)
- MultipleMS consortium (EU Horoxon 2020-funnded) (Kochum et al)
- MAGNIMS (Magnetic Resonance Imaging in MS) networkby affiliation to Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
- University of Cambridge Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Group (Sawcer, Ban, Compston)
- University of California Berkeley (Barcellos)
- University of California San Francisco (Oksenberg, Baranzini, Hauser)
- University of Nantes, France (Gourraud)
- Institut Biomedical Research August Pi Sunyer (IDIBAPS) Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Spain (Villoslada)