Projects and publications
The group's ongoing projects and selected publications.
- COMicS (Copenhagen-Oslo Co-morbidity and Microbiota Study in HIV infection). Planned as the largest prospective microbiome study in HIV-infected individuals. This project was finalized during 2019, with first paper accepted for publication (Gelpi M & Vestad B, et a.l Impact of HIV-related Gut Microbiota alterations in Metabolic Comorbidities. Clin Inf Dis 2020). PhD successfully defended November 2020.
- GutHeart (Targeting the gut microbiota to treat heart failure). The first adequately powered RCT targeting the gut microbiome aiming to improve cardiac function in heart failure patients, comprising n=150 patients. Also this ambitious project was finalized during 2020, with manuscript drafted and submitted December 2020.
- Targeting the NLRP3 inflammasome in HIV infection. The aim is to explore whether inflammasome activation is enhanced during HIV infection, and if so, if inflammasome activation could explain increased cardiovascular risk in HIV-infected individuals. Several papers have been published from this ongoing project (Hoel H, et al. Soluble markers of IL-1 activation as predictors of first-time myocardial infarction in HIV-infected individuals. J Inf Dis 2019). We have also published a paper on inflammasome activation and cardiac involvement in COVID-19 (Hoel H, et al. J Int Med 2020). Thesis was submitted for PhD defence December 2020.
- In collaboration with Johannes Hov group we have established the regional research network ReMicS (Regional research network for clinical Microbiota Science), encompassing > 25 research groups.
- Also in collaboration with Johannes Hov group, we have got funding for a Focused research area at Oslo University Hospital, where the main goal is to establish a therapeutic feces donor bank with relevance for ongoing microbiota research, including clinical treatment of C Difficile infection, ESBL eradication and biological cancer treatment by transferring microbiota from responders to non-responders.
- We have received funding through the Era-Net for managing a WP on multi-level integrated bioinformatics in the SCRATCH consortium (Microbiota-based SCReening of Anal Cancer in HIV-infected individuals), aiming to improve diagnostic screening of HIV-associated anal cancer, taking microbiota profiling one step closer to clinical practice. Microbiota analyses have been finalized and bioinformatics started during 2020.
- We have also received NRC funding for the project “Targeting the gut heart axis”, and have hired a post doc bioinformatician who started in 2020. A common theme in this project and SCRATCH is to develop integrated multi-level bioinformatics of metagenomics, metabolomics and proteomics analyses.
- Trøseid has recently taken the role as chief investigator for the novel pan-European adaptive platform trial for COVID and emerging pandemics, EU SolidAct, set up to run phase II and phase III trials in around 15 European countries, with OUH as sponsor.
- Kummen M, Mayerhofer C, Vestad B, Broch K, Awoyemi A, Storm-Larsen C, Ueland T, Yndestad A, Hov J, Trøseid M. Gut microbiota signature in heart failure defined from profiling of two independent cohorts. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 17: 1184-6.
- Hoel H, Hove-Skovsgaard M, Hov, JR, Gaardbo, JC, Holm K, Kummen M, Rudi K, Nwosu F, Valeur J, Gelpi M, Seljeflot I, Ueland PM, Gerstoft J, Ullum H, Aukrust P, Nielsen SD, Trøseid M. Impact of HIV and Type 2 diabetes on Gut Microbiota Diversity, Tryptophan Catabolism and Endothelial Dysfunction. Sci Rep 2018; 8:6725.
- Arnbjerg CJ, Vestad B, Hov JR, Pedersen KK, Jespersen S, Johannesen HH, Holm K, Halvorsen B, Fallentin E, Hansen AE, Lange T, Kjær A, Trøseid M, Fischer BM, Nielsen SD. Effect of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG Supplementation on Intestinal Inflammation Assessed by PET/MRI Scans and Gut Microbiota Composition in HIV-Infected Individuals. JAIDS 2018; 78: 450-7.
- Mayerhofer CCK, Awoyemi AO, Moscavitch SD, Lappegård KT, Hov JR, Aukrust P, Hovland A, Lorenzo A, Halvorsen S, Seljeflot I, Gullestad L, Trøseid M, Broch K. Design of the GutHeart-targeting gut microbiota to treat heart failure-trial: a Phase II, randomized clinical trial. ESC Heart Fail 2018; 5: 977-84..
- Storm-larsen C, Stiksrud B,4, Eriksen C, Nowak P, Holm K, Thalme A, Dyrhol-Riise AM, Brix S, Hov JR, Trøseid M. Microbial translocation revisited: targeting the endotoxic potential of gut microbes in HIV-infected individuals. AIDS 2019; 33: 645-53.
Published Apr. 17, 2018 3:39 PM - Last modified May 31, 2021 10:52 AM