The group has a broad approach to dementia research.
The group's areas of interest are to find new and accurate clinical and biological diagnostic markers of specific dementia disorders.
We seek to find intervention that could prevent or slow down the dementia process and to find interventions that could improve quality of life for both patients and caregivers.
The group also aim to find the influence of co-morbide disorders, genetic, epigenetic, inflammatory processes as well as stress.
One long-term goal for the group is through research to find better and more accurate diagnostic methods to be able to set a more specific diagnosis of dementia in an early stadium.
We also want to find interventions that can delay the progression of dementia, or which may expose / prevent dementia from occurring.
We aim to find methods that can improve patients-and-relatives-situation.
The group especially wants to focus on comorbid diseases, and which epigenetic, inflammatory and/or stress processes that underlie and influence the progression of dementia.
- Jonsson T, Stefansson H, Steinberg S, Jonsdottir I, Jonsson PV, Snaedal J, Bjornsson S, Huttenlocher J, Levey AI, Lah JJ, Rujescu D, Hampel H, Giegling I, Andreassen OA, Engedal K, Ulstein I, Djurovic S, Ibrahim-Verbaas C, Hofman A, Ikram MA, van Duijn CM, Thorsteinsdottir U, Kong A, Stefansson K. Variant of TREM2 associated with the risk of Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jan 10;368(2):107-16.
- Knapskog AB, Portugal Mda G, Barca ML, Coutinho ES, Laks J, Engedal K. A cross-cultural comparison of the phenotype of depression as measured by the Cornell Scale and the MADRS in two elderly outpatient populations. J Affect Disord. 2013 Jan 10;144(1-2):34-41.
- Bergh S, Selbæk G, Engedal K. Discontinuation of antidepressants in people with dementia and neuropsychiatric symptoms (DESEP study): double blind, randomised, parallel group, placebo controlled trial. BMJ. 2012 Mar 9;344:e1566. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e1566
- Engedal K, Davis B, Richarz U, Han J, Schäuble B, Andreasen N. Two galantamine titration regimens in patients switched from donepezil. Acta Neurol Scand. 2012 Jul;126(1):37-44
- Kirkevold Ø, Engedal K. Concealment of drugs in food and beverages in nursing homes: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2005 Jan 1;330(7481):20
- Alderspsykiatrisk forskningssenter, sykehuset Innlandet
- Alderspsykiatrisk nettverk i Telemark og Vestfold
- Regionalt senter for eldremedisin i Stavanger
- Geriatrisk avdeling, St.Olavs hospital/NTNU, Trondheim
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Centre, The Federale universitety of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Hukommelsesklinikkene in Copenhagen and Roskilde, University of Copenhagen
- Hukommelsesklinikken at Karolinska klinikken, Karolinska institutet i Stockholm
- Hukommelsesklinikken at Landspitalin, University of Reykjavik, Iceland
- Alderspsykiatrisk avdeling, University of Maastricht, Holland