Our research projects focus on core aspects of personality disorder, classification and assessment, and treatment.
Studies of personality functioning, comorbidity and genetics
Extreme challenges - Psychiatric inpatients with severe self-harming behaviour in Norway. A PhD project with a national project group.
Self-harming and suicidal behaviors in personality disorders - Demographic and clinical aspects of suicidal and self-harming behaviors among patients with avoidant and borderline personality disorder.
Selfharming and adolescents - Adolescents' subjective experience of their own self-harming behaviour.
BioBank project - The Norwegian Network Study of Personality and Genetics NONSTOP-GEN
Pain, personality and polygenic risk - Exploring genetic risk factors and interactions between chronic pain, mental distress, interpersonal problems and social functioning.
Personality disorder classification and assessment
Nor-AMP - The Norwegian Multicentre Study of the DSM-5 Alternative Model for Personality Disorders.
PersoniCAT - Supporting specialized psychiatric care in remote areas.
Psychometric evaluations - Studies of reliability and validity of measurements and measurement methods.
The SIPP-Project - Validity studies of the Severity Indices of Personality Problems (SIPP).
Treatment, costs, and habilitation
The multicentre TREATPD study - Utility of implemented treatment in mental health services for people with personality disorders. The project is a current collaboration within the Norwegian Network for Personality Disorders with a five-year data collection period (2017-2022). It includes separate work packages: TREATING PD and COSTS of PD.
Minding mentalizing - A separate single-centre study within the framework of TREATPD, overall title: “Reflective functioning and psychotherapy processes in Mentalization-based treatment”, and the PhD project: “The Mentalization Breakdown Interview (MBI): a new method for the assessment of mentalizing capacity in research and clinical practice”.
Therapist countertransference - PhD project: "Countertransference in the treatment of patients with personality disorders". A multicentre study sample based on data from the Norwegian Network for Personality Disorders.
Antisocial personality disorder - A feasibility study on MBT for antisocial personality disorder and comorbid substance use disorder.
Borderline personality disorder and mentalization-based treatment - Single centre and Multicentre study samples based on data from the Norwegian Network for Personality Disorders including TREATPD.
The Corona-project - Survey on mental distress, treatment situation, and social consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic, first wave among patients with personality disorder.
Other clinical studies with research group involvement
- A focus on art therapy
- Trichotillomania (more information to come)
- Psychodynamic group therapy and PD
- Co-morbidity studies of borderline and avoidant PD
Clinical projects in initial planning phase
Minding ordinary life - Short-term mentalization-based treatment as a booster of occupational habilitation for young adults with personality problems – a randomized controlled trial (more information to come)
Substance abuse and personality disorder - Mentalization based treatment for patients with comorbid personality disorder and substance use disorder – treatment efficiency, psychotherapy processes, and clinical hallmarks. (more information to come)
Doctoral dissertations in progress
- Aleksander Gulla Heltne: Clinician perspectives in the development of a computer-assisted instrument for the assessment of personality disorders: Learnability, clinical utility and ease of use. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital/ Research council of Norway. Main supervisor: Muirne C. S. Paap. Co-supervisors: Benjamin Hummelen, Sara Germans Selvik, and Erik Falkum.
- Randi Breivik: Countertransference in the treatment of patients with personality disorders. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Oslo University Hospital. Main supervisor: Geir Pedersen. Co-supervisors: Jan Ivar Røssberg and Hanne-Sofie Johnsen Dahl.
- Tuva Langjord: Extreme challenges – Psychopathology and treatment experiences among extensively hospitalized, psychiatric inpatients with severe self-harming behavior in Norway. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital/Damm Foundation. Main supervisor: Elfrida Hartveit Kvarstein; Co-supervisors: Hanne Strømme and Geir Pedersen.
Doctoral dissertations involving members of the research group
- Espen Folmo: Measuring MBT – A marriage of the common and specific psychotherapy factors, 2021. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital. Main supervisor: Elfrida Hartveit Kvarstein; Co-supervisors: Erik Stänicke and Sigmund Karterud.
- Tore Buer Christensen: Towards a more valid and useful system for diagnosing personality disorders - Evaluating impairment of personality functioning by the SCID-5-AMPD-I, 2020. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Sørlandet Hospital. Main supervisor: Benjamin Hummelen; Co-supervisor: Elfrida Hartveit Kvarstein.
- Kristine Dahl Sørensen: Lived experience of avoidant personality disorder: How people diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder make sense of their everyday life and challenges, 2020, Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Sørlandet Hospital/Damm Foundation, Main supervisor: Marit Råbu, Co-supervisor: Theresa Wilberg.
- Jane Fjermestad-Noll: Narcissism and Depression. Personality pathology, psychological factors and pattern of depressive symptoms in patients with narcissistic disturbances, 2019, University of Copenhagen. Main supervisor: Erik Simonsen, Co-supervisor: Bo Bach.
- Line Indrevoll Stänicke: The punished self, the unknown self, and the harmed self - towards a more nuanced understanding of self-harm in adolescence, 2019. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Lovisenberg Hospital/Damm Foundation. Main supervisor: Siri E. Gullestad. Co-supervisor: Hanne Haavind.
- Katharina T.E Morken: Mentalization-based treatment of female patients with severe personality disorder and substance use disorder, 2018. Affiliation/funding: University of Bergen/ The Bergen Clinic Foundation. Main supervisor: Per Einar Binder; Co-supervisors: Sigmund Karterud and Helge Molde.
- Merete Selsbakk Johansen: Affect consciousness, reflective functioning, and assessment of primary emotions in patients with personality disorders, 2016. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Oslo University Hospital. Main supervisor: Theresa Wilberg; Co-supervisor: Geir Pedersen.
- Bjørnar Torske Antonsen: Long Term Clinical Outcome of Psychotherapeutic Treatment for Patients with Personality Disorders: Findings from a Randomized Study, 2016. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital/ Damm Foundation. Main supervisor: Theresa Wilberg; Co-supervisor: Sigmund Karterud.
- Ingeborg Helene Ulltveit-Moe Eikenæs: Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD) and Social Phobia (SP) – studies of personality functioning, attachment and childhood experiences, 2016. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Vestfold Health Trust. Main supervisor: Theresa Wilberg; Co-supervisors: Jens Egeland and Egil Martinsen.
- Erlend Bøen: Clinical and brain structural features of borderline personality disorder, 2015, University of Oslo, Main supervisor: Ulrik Fredrik Malt.
- Elfrida Hartveit Kvarstein: Psychotherapy of personality disorder: Large variations in the severity and longitudinal course of global functioning, symptom distress, and costs of health services, 2013. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/Diakonhjemmet Hospital. Main supervisor: Sigmund Karterud; Co-supervisor: Svein Friis.
- Tor Erik Nysæther: Outpatient treatments of patients with Borderline personality disorder Studies of attrition, co-morbidity and effectiveness, 2012, Affiliation/funding: NTNU/Sørlandet Hospital/Norwegian Research Council/Damm Foundation. Main supervisor: Hans M Nordahl.
- Frida S Gullestad: Is there an optimal treatment format for personality disorders? Findings from a randomized clinical trial, 2012. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital. Main supervisor: Theresa Wilberg; Co-supervisor: Helge Rønnestad.
- Vidar Hallsteinli: Measuring efficiency in mental health service delivery: a study of outpatient units in Norway, 2010. Affiliation/funding: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
- Espen Arnevik: Treatment of patients with Personality disorders: Day hospital treatment followed by combined psychotherapy compared with outpatient individual treatment, 2009. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital/ South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority. Main supervisor: Theresa Wilberg; Co-supervisor: Jon Monsen.
- Geir Arild Feigum Pedersen: Psychological assessments in clinical settings: Evaluation and clinical utility of psychometric measures for the treatment of patients with personality disorders, 2008. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital. Main supervisor: Sigmund Karterud; Co-supervisor: Knut A Hagtvet.
- Benjamin Hummelen: Validity studies of three DSM-IV personality disorder constructs: Obsessive-compulsive, avoidant, and personality disorder not otherwise specified, 2008. Affiliation/funding: University of Oslo/ Oslo University Hospital. Main supervisor: Theresa Wilberg; Co-supervisor: Sigmund Karterud.
- Theresa Wilberg: Clinical studies of personality disordered patients treated in a psychotherapeutic day unit, with emphasis on assessment, treatment and course, 2000. Main supervisor: Svein Friis; Co-supervisor: Sigmund Karterud
- Lars Mehlum: Clinical studies of suicidal behaviour in the young with special reference to personality disorders, 1995.
- Sigmund Karterud: Group processes in therapeutic communities, 1989.