My current research focus is on the experience, processing and effects of rewards. This includes the processing of feedback and reinforcement and its relationship to learning, as well as the processing of events that produce a pleasant or positive affective experience. In particular, I investigate processes related to pleasant odours and touch, and the factors that underly and affect experienced pleasantness. To unravel these mechanisms, we use psychophysical methods, peripheral physiological measures, endocrine measures and fMRI.
Uta is also the institute’s Head of Postgraduate Studies (PhD Coordinator).
- 2013: Professor, Dept. of Psychology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2009 Docent (“Habilitation”, venia legendi) in Psychology, University of Vienna, Austria
- 2003: PhD from Dept. of Neurology, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Munich, Germany (thesis title “Eye-hand coordination in time and space”)
- 1998: M.Sc. (diploma) in psychology, University of Munich, Germany
- Since 2016: Professor at the IMB, University of Oslo
- 2011-ongoing (currently on leave): Associate professor (until 2013), then full professor at the Dept. of Psychology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2005-2011: University of Vienna, Austria, Section for Biological Psychology. Research fellow of the German Research Foundation (DFG) (2003-2005), thereafter postdoc, associate professor, and vice head of the Dept. of Clinical, Biological and Differential Psychology
- 2003-2005: Postdoc at the University of Umeå, Sweden, Dept. of Integrative Medical Biology, Section for Physiology
- 2002: Guest researcher, Dept. of Experimental and Work Psychology, University of Groningen, Netherlands (3 months)
- 1999-2003: PhD student at Dept. of Neurology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
- 1998 – 1999: Research assistant, Dept. of Psychology, section for neuropsychology, Ludwig-Maximilians University, and Max-Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Dept. of Neuropsychology, Munich
- 1997-1998: Student research assistant, Faculty of Psychology, Technical University Munich
- 1997: Research internship, Dept. of Psychology, University of Durham, UK (3 months)
- Croy, Ilona; Bierling, Antonie; Sailer, Uta & Ackerley, Rochelle (2020). Individual variability of pleasantness ratings to stroking touch over different velocities. Neuroscience. ISSN 0306-4522. . doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2020.03.030
- Schéle, Erik; Pfabigan, Daniela M.; Simrén, Joel; Sailer, Uta & Dickson, Suzanne L. (2020). Ghrelin Induces Place Preference for Social Interaction in the Larger Peer of a Male Rat Pair. Neuroscience. ISSN 0306-4522. . doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2020.01.027
- Bessler, Ria; Bendas, Johanna; Sailer, Uta & Croy, Ilona (2019). The “Longing for Interpersonal Touch Picture Questionnaire”: Development of a new measurement for touch perception. International Journal of Psychology. ISSN 0020-7594. . doi: 10.1002/ijop.12616
- Ree, Anbjørn; Morrison, India; Olausson, Håkan; Sailer, Uta; Heilig, Markus & Mayo, Leah M (2019). Using Facial Electromyography to Assess Facial Muscle Reactions to Experienced and Observed Affective Touch in Humans. Journal of Visualized Experiments. ISSN 1940-087X. 145 . doi: 10.3791/59228
- Strauss, Timmy; Rottstädt, Fabian; Sailer, Uta; Schellong, Julia; Hamilton, J. Paul; Raue, Claudia; Weidner, Kerstin & Croy, Ilona (2019). Touch aversion in patients with interpersonal traumatization. Depression and Anxiety. ISSN 1091-4269. 36(7), s 635- 646 . doi: 10.1002/da.22914 Show summary
- Triscoli, Chantal; Croy, Ilona & Sailer, Uta (2019). Depression predicts interpersonal problems partially through the attitude towards social touch. Journal of Affective Disorders. ISSN 0165-0327. 246, s 234- 240 . doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2018.12.054 Full text in Research Archive.
- Ree, Anbjørn; Mayo, Leah M; Leknes, Siri & Sailer, Uta (2018). Touch targeting C-tactile afferent fibers has a unique physiological pattern: A combined electrodermal and facial electromyography study. Biological Psychology. ISSN 0301-0511. 140, s 55- 63 . doi: 10.1016/j.biopsycho.2018.11.006
- Rosenberger, Lisa Anna; Ree, AnbjÃ¸rn; Eisenegger, Christoph & Sailer, Uta (2018). Slow touch targeting CT-fibres does not increase prosocial behaviour in economic laboratory tasks. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 8(1) . doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-25601-7 Full text in Research Archive.
- Kogler, Lydia; Sailer, Uta; Derntl, Birgit & Pfabigan, Daniela (2017). Processing expected and unexpected uncertainty is modulated by fearless-dominance personality traits - An exploratory ERP study on feedback processing. Physiology and Behavior. ISSN 0031-9384. 168, s 74- 83 . doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2016.10.016
- Sailer, Uta & Ackerley, Rochelle (2017). Exposure shapes the perception of affective touch. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. ISSN 1878-9293. . doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2017.07.008
- Triscoli, Chantal; Croy, Ilona; Olausson, Håkan & Sailer, Uta (2017). Touch between romantic partners: Being stroked is more pleasant than stroking and decelerates heart rate.. Physiology and Behavior. ISSN 0031-9384. 177, s 169- 175 . doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2017.05.006
- Triscoli, Chantal; Croy, Ilona; Steudte-Schmiedgen, Susann; Olausson, Håkan & Sailer, Uta (2017). Heart rate variability is enhanced by long-lasting pleasant touch at CT-optimized velocity. Biological Psychology. ISSN 0301-0511. 128, s 71- 81 . doi: 10.1016/j.biopsycho.2017.07.007
- Sailer, Uta; Triscoli, Chantal; Häggblad, Gisela; Hamilton, Paul; Olausson, Håkan & Croy, Ilona (2016). Temporal dynamics of brain activation during 40 minutes of pleasant touch. NeuroImage. ISSN 1053-8119. 139, s 360- 367 . doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2016.06.031