Head and Neck
We do research on headache epidemiology, genetics, clinical symptomatology and management, as well as genetics of inherited neuropathies.
In the future we aim to improve the diagnosis and treatment of headache and Carhcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
- Epidemiology – prevalence of tension-type headache, migraine including menstrual migraine without aura and menstruel migraine with aura, and secondary chronic headaches
- Genetics – tension-type headache, migraine without aura, migraine with aura and cluster headache
- Clinical – improved description of menstruel migraine without aura and menstruel migraine with aura
- Management – medication overuse headache, and chiropractic treatment of cervicogenic headache and migraine
- Genetics – Identification of Charcot-Marie-Tooth genes in the Norwegian population
- Chiropractic treatment of headache - developing methods for blinding in manuel therapy studies, treatment of cervicogen headaches and migraine
- Menstrual migraine - epidemiology, clinical description and developing methods to better Diagnostics
- Medication overuse headache - development of treatment that can ble applied in general practice without the major costs associated with this.
- Braathen GJ, Høyer H, Busk ØL, Tveten K, Skjelbred CF, Russell MB. Variants in the genes DCTN2, DNAH10, LRIG3, and MYO1A are associated with intermediate Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease in a Norwegian family. Acta Neurol Scand 2015 [Epub ahead of print].
- Kristoffersen ES, Straand J, Vetvik KG, Benth JŠ, Russell MB, Lundqvist C. Brief intervention for medication-overuse headache in primary care. The BIMOH study: a double-blind pragmatic cluster randomised parallel controlled trial. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2015; 86: 505-12.
- Chaibi A, Šaltytė Benth J, Russell MB. Validation of Placebo in a Manual Therapy Randomized Controlled Trial. Sci Rep 2015; 5: 11774.
- Høyer H, Braathen GJ, Busk ØL, Holla ØL, Svendsen M, Hilmarsen HT, Strand L, Skjelbred CF, Russell MB. Genetic diagnosis of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease in a population by next-generation sequencing. Biomed Res Int 2014; 210401.
- Russell MB. Headache: Medication overuse headache - seeking a management consensus. Nat Rev Neurol 2014; 10: 309-10.
- Knackstedt H, Kråkenes J, Bansevicius D, Russell MB. Magnetic resonance imaging of craniovertebral structures: clinical significance in cervicogenic headaches. J Headache Pain 2012; 13: 39-44.
- Høyer H, Braathen GJ, Eek AK, Skjelbred CF, Russell MB. Charcot-Marie-Tooth caused by a copy number variation in myelin protein zero. Eur J Med Genet 2011; 54: e580-3.
- Russell MB, Ducros A. Sporadic and familial hemiplegic migraine: pathophysiological mechanisms, clinical characteristics, diagnosis, and management. Lancet Neurol 2011; 10: 457-70.
- Grande RB, Aaseth K, Benth JŠ, Lundqvist C, Russell MB. Reduction in medication-overuse headache after short information. The Akershus study of chronic headache. Eur J Neurol 2011; 18: 129-37.