Olafiakliniken is the largest clinic for sexually transmitted infections in the Nordic region. We have a unique access to a large patient population with a variety of background characteristics, symptoms, clinical findings and infectionss.
About the group
We also hold the function as the National Advisory Unit on Sexually Transmitted Infections, and therefore our researchfocus is on clinical studies providing results to support evidence based medicine and guidance for treatment practice.
The main focus is 1) to improve diagnostics and to study antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in a) Neisseria gonorrhea and b) Mycoplasma genitalium 2) to study the etiology and clinical/ microscopic signs of non-gonorrhoic urethritis and cervicitis 3) study the impact of pre-exposure prophylaxis against HIV on sexual health in high risk-individuals.
As part of the Turning the Tide of Antibmicrobial resistance (TTA) consortium, the research on antimicrobial resistance (AMR) will be the main long term objective for our research, focusing on studies on molecular, clinical and epidemiollogical level to optimize diagnostics and treatment. We also focus on developing preventive strategies to the spread of multiresistant sexually transmitted infections.
- Evaluation of implementation of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in subjects at particular risk of infection with HIV, Frank Olav Pettersen, Michelle Hanlon, Oslo University Hospital HF, Project period: 2017 - 2022, participating health region: HV HSØ
- Gonore study; ‘Gonorrhoea - an‘ urgent and major threat to public health ’: Diagnostic challenges, transmission, molecular epidemiology and antimicrobial resistance in Norway’. Linn Merete Brendefur Corwen and Patricia Merckoll are doctoral students with main responsibility for this project. TTA is a research network established at Oslo University Hospital with antimicrobial resistance (AMR) as a thematic research area with broad collaboration nationally and internationally. Our role in this is through research on the development of resistance in gonorrhea. As part of this, we have, among other things, established collaboration with the reference laboratory for gonococci at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, which in turn will facilitate and initiate more research on gonorrhea that also involves the other health regions.
- Turning the tide of Antimicrobial resistance (TTA) Fredrik Muller, Oslo University Hospital HF Project period: 2016 - 2023 Participating health region: HSØ
- Dept of Microbiology, OUH
- National Inst of Public Health
- The Norwegian Directorate of Health
- Ørebro univ/WHO collaborating center for STI (prof M Unemo)
- Statens serum institutt, Copenhagen (prof JS Jensen)
- Berg RC, Amundsen E, Haugstvedt Å. BMC Public Health. 2020 Nov 25;20(1):1785. doi: 10.1186/s12889-020-09916-7.BMC Public Health. 2020. PMID: 33238948
Jahr SH, Myro AZ, Vegge K, Campbell P. A man in his forties with acute onset of speech impairment and unilateral paresis. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2019 12 10;139(18). Epub 2019 des 4. PMID:31823567
Unemo M, Salado-Rasmussen K, Hansen M, Olsen AO, Falk M, Golparian D, Aasterød M, Ringlander J, Nilsson CS, Sundqvist M, Schønning K, Moi H, Westh H, Jensen JS. Clinical and analytical evaluation of the new Aptima Mycoplasma genitalium assay, with data on M. genitalium prevalence and antimicrobial resistance in M. genitalium in Denmark, Norway and Sweden in 2016. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017 Sep 18. pii: S1198-743X(17)30504-9.
The Role of Polymorphonuclear Leukocyte Counts from Urethra, Cervix, and Vaginal Wet Mount in Diagnosis of Nongonococcal Lower Genital Tract Infection. Randjelovic I, Moghaddam A, Freiesleben de Blasio B, Moi H. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2018 Jul 26;2018:8236575. doi: 10.1155/2018/8236575. eCollection 2018. PMID: 30147292 Free PMC article.
Lundekvam K, Hanlon M. En mann i 40-årene med sår på penis og utslett på underarmen. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2018 Jan 8.. [Epub ahead of print]
- Patel R, Kennedy OJ, Clarke E, Geretti A, Nilsen A, Lautenschlager S, Green J, Donders G, van der Meijden W, Gomberg M, Moi H, Foley E. 2017 European guidelines for the management of genital herpes. Int J STD AIDS. 2017 Dec;28(14):1366-1379.
- Moi H. Moi svarer. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2017 Aug 21;137(14-15).
- Urethral inflammatory response to ureaplasma is significantly lower than to Mycoplasma genitalium and Chlamydia trachomatis. Moi H, Reinton N, Randjelovic I, Reponen EJ, Syvertsen L, Moghaddam A. Int J STD AIDS. 2017 Jul;28(8):773-780. doi: 10.1177/0956462416666482. Epub 2016 Aug 24. PMID: 27558163
- Moi H. Dårligere vaksine mot humant papillomvirus. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2017 May 23;137(10):700.
- Horner P, Ingle SM, Garrett F, Blee K, Kong F, Muir P, Moi H. Which azithromycin regimen should be used for treating Mycoplasma genitalium? A meta-analysis. Sex Transm Infect. 2018 Feb;94(1):14-20. Epub 2017 Jul 17.
- Moi H, Hartgill U, Skullerud KH, Reponen EJ, Syvertsen L, Moghaddam A. Microscopy of Stained Urethral Smear in Male Urethritis; Which Cutoff Should be Used? Sex Transm Dis. 2017 Mar;44(3):189-194.
- Lautenschlager S, Kemp M, Christensen JJ, Mayans MV, Moi H. 2017 European guideline for the management of chancroid. Int J STD AIDS. 2017 Mar;28(4):324-329.