The overall objective of the research group is to foster research that can contribute to more knowledge about causes and development of prostate cancer, and thus lead to better diagnostics and treatment of the disease.
About the group
The main topic of clinical research is outcome studies and Quality of Life studies after primary treatment and salvage treatment of prostate cancer. Another important topic is studies of new diagnostic methods and focal treatment of prostate cancer.
The main aims for our translational research are detection and validation of new putative biomarkers in tumor tissue, blood and urine.
This effort focuses on achieving a more personalized treatment of patients, in order to reduce overdiagnosis and overtreatment of prostate cancer, but also to improve diagnosis and treatment of high risk prostate cancer.
The groups long term goals are to:
- Prepare one new PhD project for a urological resident
- Prepare clinical- or translational projects directed towards medical students (Forskningslinje) who can apply for grants during one year off from the medical study
- Improve Registry and Biobank for urological disease
- Prostate cancer Research International: Active Surveillance (PRIAS) study
- Salvage pelvic lymph node dissection in prostate cancer patients with recurrence after radical prostatectomy
- SPCG-15: Surgery Versus Radiotherapy for Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer
- Movember: The Unique Prostate Cancer Tissue microarray (TMA) project
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Treatment in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- The Martini study: Patient-reportedand medical long-term outcomes after radical prostatectomy (RP): A comparison between patients operated at theMartini-Hospital (MaH) , Hamburg (Germany) and Oslo University Hospital (OUH) , Oslo (Norway)
- The FARP randomized control study of focal ablation of prostate using High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) versus Radical Prostatectomy (RP) in patients with unilateral, intermediate risk prostate cancer.
- Almac developing biomarker assays for metastatic prostate cancer (https://www.almacgroup.com/news/almac-group-announces-publication-prostate-cancer-metastatic-assay-validation/
- Urinary exosome test for improved prostate cancer management. NRC supported study administered by Invent2
- Curative Treatment and Survival of Patients with Non-Metastatic Prostate Cancer in Norway 2001-2015
- Development of hormone refractory prostate cancer: Role of β2-adrenergic receptor
- Metastatisk prostata cancer: UV1 synthetic peptide vaccine and GM-CSF
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy androbot assisted radical prostatectomy: Outcome and adverse effects
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Nuclear Medicine
- Department of Radiology
- Institute of Cancer Research
- Institute for Cancer Genetics and Informatics
- Dep. of biostatistics and epidemiology
- Department of Urology, St. Olavs Hospital, Trondheim
- Department of Urology, Haukeland Hospital, Bergen
- National Cancer Registry
- PROFO (Prostata kreft foreningen)
- Dep. of Oncology, The Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø
- Queen University, Belfast, UK
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, USA
- Martini-Hospital (MaH), Hamburg, Germany
- Identification of non-invasive miRNAs biomarkers for prostate cancer by deep sequencing analysis of urinary exosomes. Rodríguez M, Bajo-Santos C, Hessvik NP, Lorenz S, Fromm B, Berge V, Sandvig K, Linē A, Llorente A. Mol Cancer. 2017 Oct 5;16(1):156. doi: 10.1186/s12943-017-0726-4.
- Ex vivo metabolic fingerprinting identifies biomarkers predictive of prostate cancer recurrence following radical prostatectomy. Braadland PR, Giskeødegård G, Sandsmark E, Bertilsson H, Euceda LR, Hansen AF, Guldvik IJ, Selnæs KM, Grytli HH, Katz B, Svindland A, Bathen TF, Eri LM, Nygård S, Berge V, Taskén KA, Tessem MB. Br J Cancer. 2017 Nov 21;117(11):1656-1664.
- Ten-year Mortality in Men With Nonmetastatic Prostate Cancer in Norway. Aas K, Axcrona K, Kvåle R, Møller B, Myklebust TÅ, Axcrona U, Berge V, Fosså SD. Urology. 2017 Dec;110:140-147. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.07.048. Epub 2017 Aug 18.
- MtDNA depletion influences the transition of CD44 subtypes in human prostate cancer DU145 cells. Li X, Grigalavicius M, Li Y, Li X, Zhong Y, Huang R, Yu D, Berge V, Goscinski MA, Kvalheim G, Nesland JM, Suo Z. Tumour Biol. 2017 Aug;39(8):1010428317713671. doi: 10.1177/1010428317713671.
- Metabolic reprogramming is associated with flavopiridol resistance in prostate cancer DU145 cells. Li X, Lu J, Kan Q, Li X, Fan Q, Li Y, Huang R, Slipicevic A, Dong HP, Eide L, Wang J, Zhang H, Berge V, Goscinski MA, Kvalheim G, Nesland JM, Suo Z. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 11;7(1):5081.
- Mitochondrial pyruvate carrier function determines cell stemness and metabolic reprogramming in cancer cells. Li X, Han G, Li X, Kan Q, Fan Z, Li Y, Ji Y, Zhao J, Zhang M, Grigalavicius M, Berge V, Goscinski MA, Nesland JM, Suo Z. Oncotarget. 2017 Jul 11;8(28):46363-46380.
- Molecular Subgroup of Primary Prostate Cancer Presenting with Metastatic Biology. Walker SM, Knight LA, McCavigan AM, Logan GE, Berge V, Sherif A, Pandha H, Warren AY, Davidson C, Uprichard A, Blayney JK, Price B, Jellema GL, Steele CJ, Svindland A, McDade SS, Eden CG, Foster C, Mills IG, Neal DE, Mason MD, Kay EW, Waugh DJ, Harkin DP, Watson RW, Clarke NW, Kennedy RD. Eur Urol. 2017 Oct;72(4):509-518. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2017.03.027. Epub 2017 Apr 10.
- Phase I/IIa clinical trial of a novel hTERT peptide vaccine in men with metastatic hormone-naive prostate cancer. Lilleby W, Gaudernack G, Brunsvig PF, Vlatkovic L, Schulz M, Mills K, Hole KH, Inderberg EM. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2017 Jul;66(7):891-901. doi: 10.1007/s00262-017-1994-y. Epub 2017 Apr 8.
- Switching from laparoscopic radical prostatectomy to robot assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: comparing oncological outcomes and complications. Johnson I, Ottosson F, Diep LM, Berg RE, Hoff JR, Wessel N, Eri LM, Berge V. Scand J Urol. 2018 Jan 15:1-6. doi: 10.1080/21681805.2017.1420099. [Epub ahead of print]
- Psychometric properties of the expanded prostate cancer index composite - 26 instrument in a cohort of radical prostatectomy patients: theoretical and practical examinations. Axcrona K, Nilsson R, Brennhovd B, Sørebø Ø, Fosså SD, Dahl AA. BMC Urol. 2017 Dec 2;17(1):111. doi: 10.1186/s12894-017-0302-7.