Recap of the Inspiration Series with Bente Mikkelsen
On May 4th, WGH Norway hosted its second webinar part of the Inspiration Series!
Youth Coordinators, Urusha Maharjan and Laura Herget led this one-hour webinar for students and young professionals entitled, Global Health Leadership in International Organizations - examples from the World Health Organization with Bente Mikkelsen.
During this virtual event, Bente Mikkelsen, director of non-communicable diseases at the World Health Organization (WHO), discussed women leadership and advice for young people in international settings within global health. Following the discussion, there was a 15-minute question and answer session in which attendees posed questions to Bente on leadership and career guidance. Further details of the event can be found here.
While sharing her personal journey and using insights from her experience with global health leadership, she shared her personal opinion,
"leadership should not be gender specific."
She explained how the core values of the WHO members and the respect for feminine values contribute towards the success of WHO. In addition, she discussed the gender disparities in the burden of non-communicable diseases around the globe.
When asked about advice and guidance to offer students and young professionals starting their career in global health, she shared the following:
- stay humble and contribute for equity in society using the knowledge that is available
- be open to new opportunities and take criticisms positively
- make having a private life a priority
- support from loved ones is necessary for a successful career, which she believes is one of her key elements for success and motivation.
- understand the differences between leadership and management. Leadership is about setting a vision and working together as a team, and a leader doesn’t necessarily need to encompass management skills.
WGH Norway would like to thank this inspiring woman for her advice and participation during this Inspiration Series.
Next Inspiration Series
We look forward to the next webinar on October 12, 2022, at 19:30 CET with Dr. Andrea S. Winkler, Special Counselor for Women in Global Health Norway and Co-chair of the Lancet One Health Commission. Further details with registration will be available shortly.
Previous Inspiration Series
On March 30, 2022, WGH Norway hosted its first webinar part of the Inspiration Series with guest speaker, Kari Krogstad. Read a short recap of the event and/or watch the available recording here.