Traumatic brain injury in the chronic phase
Needs and treatment options - a randomized controlled community-based intervention
About the project
The main objective of the study is to examine the long-term treatment needs and the effect of a goal-oriented community-based rehabilitation program for home-dwelling individuals with TBI. In addition, a cost-benefit analysis will be carried out to provide an economic assessment of the intervention. A process evaluation will also be performed regarding how the subjects experience the intervention, and facilitators and barriers, both personal and environmental, in the implementation of the study will be explored.
Postdocs and PhD students
Ida M.H. Borgen has successfully completed her PhD in the project.
Marit V. Forslund, Ingerid Kleffelgaard and Solveig Lægreid Hauger are postdocs in the prosjekt.
Norwegian Personal Injury Association (LTN)
Norwegian Research Council
The clinical segment will be conducted in collaboration with the Oslo University Hospital and the Sunnaas Hospital; the cost and implementation part with CHARM.
The predictors of proxy- and self-reported quality of life among individuals with acquired brain injury. Aza A, Verdugo MÁ, Orgaz MB, Andelic N, Fernández M, Forslund MV.Disabil Rehabil. 2020 Aug 26:1-13. doi: 10.1080/09638288.2020.1803426. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32847433
Trajectories of self-reported competency up to 10 years following moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury. Van Walsem MR, Howe EI, Perrin PB, Sigurdardottir S, Røe C, Sveen U, Lu J, Forslund MV, Andelic N.Brain Inj. 2020 Feb 23;34(3):335-342. doi: 10.1080/02699052.2019.1704061. Epub 2020 Jan 12.PMID: 31928233
Health-Related Quality of Life Trajectories across 10 Years after Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury in Norway. Forslund MV, Perrin PB, Sigurdardottir S, Howe EI, van Walsem MR, Arango-Lasprilla JC, Lu J, Aza A, Jerstad T, Røe C, Andelic N.J Clin Med. 2021 Jan 5;10(1):157. doi: 10.3390/jcm10010157.PMID: 33466321 Free PMC article.
In chronic traumatic brain injury: A feasibility trial of a community-based intervention. Ida Maria H. Borgen, Marianne Løvstad, Cecilie Røe, Marit V. Forslund, Solveig L. Hauger, Solrun Sigurdardottir, Laraine Winter, Ingerid Kleffelgård. Cogent Medicine 21 February 2020 https://doi.org/10.1080/2331205X.2020.173122
- Traumatic brain injury-needs and treatment options in the chronic phase: Study protocol for a randomized controlled community-based intervention.
Borgen IMH, Løvstad M, Andelic N, Hauger S, Sigurdardottir S, Søberg HL, Sveen U, Forslund MV, Kleffelgård I, Lindstad MØ, Winter L, Røe C.Trials. 2020 Mar 27;21(1):294. doi: 10.1186/s13063-020-4195-5.
- Long-term employment outcomes following moderate to severe traumatic brain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Brain Injury Aug 2019. DOI 10.1080/02699052.2019.1658222. Gormley M, Devanaboyina M, Andelic N, Røe C, Seel TR, Lu J.
- Randomized controlled trials of rehabilitation services in the post-acute phase of moderate and severe traumatic brain injury - A systematic review. Frontiers in Neurology Jun 2019 ;Volum 10:557. DOI 10.3389/fneur.2019.00557. Røe C, Tverdal C, Howe E, Tenovuo O, Azouvi P, Andelic N.
- Physical and Mental Health Trajectories Across 10 Years After Moderate-to-Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Brain Injury Mar 2019 ;Volum 33. Suppl. 1 DOI 10.1080/02699052.2019.1608749. Forslund M, Perrin PB, Sigurdardottir S, Røe C, Howe E, Søberg H, Sveen U,Rasmussen M, Andelic N.
- Community-Based Intervention Program in the Chronic Phase of TBI: A feasibility trial for a randomized controlled trial. 13th World Congress on Brain Injury Mar 2019. Borgen, I. M. H., Hauger, S. L., Løvstad, M., Røe, C., Forslund, M., Sigurdardottir, S., Winter, L. & Kleffelgård, I.
- Global Outcome Trajectories up to 10 Years After Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Frontiers in Neurology 2019. DOI 10.3389/fneur.Mar 2019.00219. Forslund, M, Perrin, PB, Røe, C, Sigurdardottir S, Hellstrøm T, Berntsen, S, Lu J, Arango-Lasprilla JC, Andelic N.
- Physical Therapy Use Probabilities Across 10 Years After Moderate-To-Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Brain Injury Mar 2019; Volum 33. Suppl. 1 DOI 10.1080/02699052.2019.1608749. Andelic N, Perrin PB, Søberg H, Sigurdardottir S, Howe E, Berntsen S, Howe E, Rasmussen M, Røe C, Forslund M.
- Trajectories of occupational therapy and speech therapy use across 10 years after moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury. Brain Injury Mar 2019 ;Volum 33. Suppl. 1 DOI 10.1080/02699052.2019.1608749. Forslund M, Perrin PB, Sveen U, Sigurdardottir S, Howe E, Berntsen S, Howe E, Røe C, Andelic N.
- Employment probability trajectories up to 10 years after moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury. Frontiers in Neurology Dec 2018 ;Volum 9. DOI 10.3389/fneur.2018.01051. Howe E, Andelic N, Perrin PB, Røe C, Sigurdardottir S, Arango-Lasprilla JC, Lu J, Løvstad M, Forslund M.
- "It gets better. It can´t be worse than what we have been through." Family accounts of the minimally conscious state. Brain Inj. 2018;32(13-14):1659-1669. doi: 10.1080/02699052.2018.1539244. Epub 2018 Oct 23. Løvstad M, Solbrække KN, Kirkevold M, Geard A, Hauger SL, Schanke AK.
- Disability and quality of life 20 years after traumatic brain injury. Brain Behav. 2018 Jun 11:e01018. doi: 10.1002/brb3.1018. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29888869. Andelic N, Howe EI, Hellstrøm T, Sanchez MF, Lu J, Løvstad M, Røe C.