Knut Dahl-Jørgensen has four main research areas.
The first is the ethiology and prevention of type 1 diabetes and autoimmune diseases, especially focusing the role of viruses and the interaction with the immune system in pancreatic and thyroid tissue samples.
The second area is diabetes late complications. We have long term clinical studies on microvascular complications and the influence of glycemic control and advanced glycation.
Resently the risk of early atherosclerosis in type 1 diabetes has been the focus in several of our studies, with measurement of vessel wall thickness (IVUS, IMT, MRI) and vessel elasticity, and biochemical markers, as well as clinical data and risk factors.
In our large, nationwide clinical studies, now as part of the Childhood Diabetes Registry, we focus important issues as intensified insulin treatment and pumps, diabetic nephropathy, diet, physical activity, quality of life and psychososial problems and eating disturbances.
Ethiology and prevention of type 1 diabetes and autoimmune diseases:
- Diabetes Virus Detection Project
- Genetic studies of the importance of copy-number polymorphism in the development of type 1 diabetes.
- Viruses, genetics and autoimmunity in thyroiditis. A biopsy study.
Diabetes late complications:
- Atherosclerosis in Childhood Diabetes
- Long term vascular changes in type 1 diabetes – Clinical aspects and biological markers – 30 years follow-up of the Oslo Study
- Advanced glycation of proteins and vascular complications in childhood diabetes
- Diabetic nephropathy: Hypertension and microalbuminuria in Norwegian children with type I diabetes
- Collaboration with the Norwegian Childhood Diabetes Registry (se page--). A nationwide prospective population-based study for research and quality improvement by means of benchmarking.
- Dietary intake, meal pattern and physical activity in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes
- Diabetes in body and mind. The theory of the specific psychological processes in type 1 diabetes
- Children and adolescents with diabetes - present state and future possibilities - A population-based study of factors affecting competences and treatment results in children and adolescents with Type I diabetes.
- Eating disturbances in childhood diabetes.
- Childhood diabetes and celiac disease – a population based study
Obesity and type 2 diabetes:
- Pathways contributing to childhood weight development and overweight in Norway. Sub-study of The Mother and Child National Cohort.
- Pediatric endocrinology and diabetes
- Adolescent medicine
- Professor of Pediatrics. Director and Senior Staff Specialist, Unit for Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Oslo University Hospital.
- Vice-Dean Faculty of Medicine 2010-2012.
- Dean of Faculty Division Ullevål, University of Oslo 2003-2009.
- Master of Health Administration, University of Oslo 2003.
- Academic degree: M.D. Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany,1973, Dr.med (PhD) University of Oslo 1987. Master degree of Health Administration, University of Oslo 1993.
- Norwegian Certificate Clinical Specialist in Pediatrics 1986 and Clinical Biochemistry 1984.
- The Swedish Child Diabetes Foundation’s Johnny Ludvigsson-prize for excellent research in childhood and adolescent diabetes 2014.
- ISPAD Prize of Achievement 2013.
- President of the International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD) 2002-2004.
- Secretary-General ISPAD1997-2002.
- Council Member ISPAD 1991-1994.
- Council Member, European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) 2005-2008.
- Board Member Consultative Section for Children and Adolescents of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) 2002-2005.
- Review Board of European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes (EFSD) 2004.
- Member Editorial Board, Pediatric Diabetes, 2004-present.
- Member WHO Europe Expert Group Childhood Diabetes, 1992-1998.
- Member WHO Quality Board Childhood Diabetes,1996-2000.
- National Coordinator the ENDIT Study. Member International Board,1995-present.
- National Coordinator the KIGS Study, Member International Board. 1996-2003.
- Chairman Diabetes Forum of Norwegian Diabetes Association, 2005- present.
- Chairman Norwegian Study Group of Childhood Diabetes, 2007-2013.
- Medical Board of Norwegian Diabetes Association, 2005-present.
- Chairman Norwegian Medical Associations Subgroup for Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism,1994-1998.
- Member Committee of Adolescence Medicine, Norwegian Medical Association,1992-2000.
Leader of Research Group Pediatric Diabetes, Oslo Diabetes Research Centre.