The Ahus Birth Cohort
The Akershus Birth Cohort (ABC) is a follow-up study of women giving birth at Akershus University Hospital in Norway. The main purpose of the study is to provide information on how women’s mental health affects the delivery and the child.
About the project
The main study included responses to three questionnaires from over 4000 pregnant women.
The first questionnaire was given in about the 18th week of pregnancy at an ultrasound scan to determine the due date, the second one in the 32nd week, and the final one eight weeks after the birth.
The study population was all women who gave birth at Akershus University Hospital from March 2009 to February 2011 (n = 6244). The questionnaires contained a large number of mental health measures as well as standard questions on the woman’s expectations and feelings in connection with the birth.
Information about the birth was obtained from the electronic birth records of the hospital. The main study was later expanded in two ways:
1) by exploring other issues related to women’s health, one example being a study of chronic headaches and migraines during pregnancy, and
2) by obtaining additional data from the women two years after the birth, including data on the child(ren) they gave birth to.
- The Research Council of Norway
- Akershus University Hospital
- MoodNet Research Group
- Division of Psychiatry, Stavanger University Hospital
- Norwegian Institute of Public Health
- The Norwegian Directorate of Health
- Graduate Academy, Dresden Tyskland
- South- Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority
- Central Norway Regional Authority
- Møre Romsdal Hospital Trust
The project has many national and international partners.
- Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway.
- Department for Infant Mental Health, Regional Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (RBUP) Eastern and Southern Norway.
- Stavanger University Hospital, Stavanger, Norway.
- MoodNet Research Group Division of Psychiatry.
- Stavanger University Hospital.
- The Regional Centre for Child and Youth Mental Health and Child Welfare, Uni Research Health, Bergen.
- Ålesund Hospital, Møre & Romsdal Health Trust, Ålesund, Norway.
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway.
- Trondheim University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway.
- Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo.
- UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø, Norway.
- Department of Psychiatry, Helse Fonna HF, Haugesund, Norway.
- Norwegian Competence Center for Sleep Disorders Haukeland University Hospital.
- Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care University of Bergen.
- Faculty of Medicine, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital, Technische Universität Dresden, Germany.
- Department of Medicine, Medical School Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.
- School of Health Sciences, City, University of London, London, United Kingdom.
- Lausanne University and Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.