Roza Berhanu Lemma
Although I have been developing a wide range of academic interests, due to exposure to a wide range of interdisciplinary fields, my main academic interest is in gene regulation, transcription and epigenetics.
I am interested in molecular, biochemical and genome-wide methods such as ATAC-Seq, ChIP-Seq and RNA-Seq along with analyzing such data. Currently, I am having an increasing interest towards computational biology and its applications in gene regulation. As a result, joining the Mathelier group is a great opportunity to develop new skills and explore the different academic interests that I have.
- Sep. 2015 – Dec.2018: Ph.D. in molecular biology with the title ‘Novel mechanisms controlling the interplay between SUMOylation, chromatin remodeling and transcription — A study of the functional interaction between the SUMO protease SENP1, the chromatin remodeler CHD3 and the pioneer transcription factor c-Myb’ from the department of biosciences (IBV), University of Oslo (UiO)
- Aug. 2013 – Aug. 2015: M.Sc. in molecular biosciences with the title ‘AlkB homologs in metazoans — an applied bioinformatics and experimental DNA/RNA repair study’ from IBV, UiO
- Sep. 2008 – July 2011: M.Sc. in biotechnology with the title ‘Factors influencing micropropagation and somatic embryogenesis of two, Kello and Qulle, cassava varieties’, school of graduate studies, Biotechnology program, Addis Ababa University
- Oct. 2004 – July 2007: B.Sc. in biology (Genetics and molecular biology), Jimma University Ambo College
Previous positions held
- Sep 2015 – Dec 2015: PhD candidate at IBV, UiO
- May 2018 – Aug 2018: Researcher (80%) at IBV, UiO
- July 2011 – Oct 2011: Lecturer at Ambo University
- Aug 2007 – July 2011: Graduate assistant at Ambo University
Lemma, Roza Berhanu; Fleischer, Thomas; Martinsen, Emily; Ledsaak, Marit; Kristensen, Vessela N. & Eskeland, Ragnhild [Show all 8 contributors for this article] (2022). Pioneer transcription factors are associated with the modulation of DNA methylation patterns across cancers. Epigenetics & Chromatin. ISSN 1756-8935. 15. doi: 10.1186/s13072-022-00444-9.
Castro Mondragon, Jaime Abraham; Riudavets Puig, Rafael; Rauluseviciute, Ieva; Lemma, Roza Berhanu; Turchi, Laura & Blanc-Mathieu, Romain [Show all 23 contributors for this article] (2021). JASPAR 2022: the 9th release of the open-acess database of transcription factor binding profiles. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). ISSN 0305-1048. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkab1113. Full text in Research Archive
Lemma, Roza Berhanu; Ledsaak, Marit; Fuglerud, Bettina Maria; Sandve, Geir Kjetil; Eskeland, Ragnhild & Gabrielsen, Odd Stokke (2021). Chromatin occupancy and target genes of the haematopoietic master transcription factor MYB. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 11(9008). doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-88516-w. Full text in Research Archive Show summary
Fan, Qiong; Nørgaard, Rikke Christine; Grytten, Ivar; Ness, Cecilie; Lucas, Christin & Vekterud, Kristin [Show all 15 contributors for this article] (2020). LXRα Regulates ChREBPα Transactivity in a Target Gene-Specific Manner through an Agonist-Modulated LBD-LID Interaction. Cells. ISSN 2073-4409. 9(5), p. 1–26. doi: 10.3390/cells9051214. Full text in Research Archive Show summary
Fan, Qiong; Nørgaard, Rikke Christine; Grytten, Ivar; Ness, Cecilie Maria; Lucas, Christin & Vekterud, Kristin [Show all 15 contributors for this article] (2019). Open the LID: LXRα regulates ChREBPα transactivity in a target gene-specific manner through an agonist-modulated LBD-LID interaction. BioRxiv. ISSN 0362-4331. doi: 10.1101/2019.12.20.869974. Show summary
Rodriguez- Castañeda, Fernando; Lemma, Roza Berhanu; Cuervo Torre, Ignacio; Bengtsen, Mads; Moen, Lisa Marie & Ledsaak, Marit [Show all 8 contributors for this article] (2018). The SUMO protease SENP1 and the chromatin remodeller CHD3 interact and jointly affect chromatin accessibility and gene expression. Journal of Biological Chemistry. ISSN 0021-9258. 293(40), p. 15439–15454. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.002844. Full text in Research Archive Show summary
Fuglerud, Bettina Maria; Lemma, Roza Berhanu; Wanichawan, Pimthanya; Sundaram, Arvind; Eskeland, Ragnhild & Gabrielsen, Odd Stokke (2017). A c-Myb mutant causes deregulated differentiation due to impaired histone binding and abrogated pioneer factor function. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). ISSN 0305-1048. 45(13), p. 7681–7696. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkx364. Full text in Research Archive
Fan, Qiong; Nørgaard, Rikke Christine; Grytten, Ivar; Ness, Cecilie Maria; Lucas, Christin & Vekterud, Kristin [Show all 15 contributors for this article] (2019). LXRα interacts with the glucose-sensing transcription factor ChREBPα to regulate its transcriptional activity.
Fan, Qiong; Nørgaard, Rikke Christine; Grytten, Ivar; Ulven, Stine Marie; Lucas, Christin & Bindesbøll, Christian [Show all 11 contributors for this article] (2018). LXRα interacts with the glucose-sensing transcription factor ChREBPα and increases its transcriptional activity.