My field of research is the social epistemology of medicine and global health, i.e. how knowledge about these issues is generated, applied, discussed, documented, evaluated and exchanged throughout society.
My interests include studies of
- the foundations and cultural conditions of medical knowledge practices, such as clinical guidelines and public health recommendations,
- ideals and thoughts - both in and outside academic circles - about what counts as medical evidence, e.g. in the face of a pandemic situation, and
- the meaning and emergence of key concepts, values and health policy trends such as evidence-based decision making, knowledge translation and sustainable health development.
- The Postdoctoral Program
- HELSEF4403 - Power and knowledge in health care
I am currently elected Vice-Dean of Postgraduate Studies at the Faculty of Medicine.
I am the co-founder and executive chair of Norway's first centre of excellence in medical education: Centre for Sustainable Healthcare Education.
In 2021, I was appointed Academic Chair of Global Health at the European University Alliance Circle U.
I obtained my M.Phil in intellectual history from the University of Oslo (UoO) in 2001 and my PhD from the same university in 2006. From 2007 to 2011 I worked as an associate professor of philosophy of science at the Oslo Metropolitan University where I lead the development of a new PhD programme in social policy and social work. I have also worked as a senior adviser at Norad's evaluation department and as an assistant professor at the University of Lorraine (France).
Since 2012, I am a full professor of interdisciplinary health science (with emphasis on the philosophy of science) at UoO. From 2013 to 2015 I was head of postgraduate studies and from 2015 to 2019 research director at the Faculty of Medicine.
Chair of Global Health, Circle U European University Alliance (2021-)
Executive Chair, Centre for Sustainable Healthcare Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo (2020-)
Leader of WHO expert group on the cultural contexts of health and knowledge translation (2019-)
Research group leader at Centre for Advanced Study at the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (2019-2020)
Expert Panel Member, Interim-evaluation of Horizon 2020, European Commission, Brussels (2016-2017)
Member of the steering group of the research priority area UiO:Life Science, University of Oslo (2016-2017)
Norwegian delegate in the Helsinki Group on Gender Balance in Science, the European Commission, Brussels (2013-2017)
Member of PhD Programme Board, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo (2013-)
Board member of the International Society of Cultural History (ISCH) (2013-2016)
Member of the Programme Board of the BALANSE-programme, Research Council of Norway (2013-2016)
Member of the Committee for Gender Balance in Research (KiF), Norwegian Ministry of Education, Norway (2010-2013)
- Interdisciplinary Research in Health Sciences, University of Oxford (prof. Trisha Greenhalgh)
- Université Paris Diderot (prof. Julia Kristeva)
- Karolinska Institutet (prof. Göran Tomson / prof. Ole Petter Ottersen)
- The Genealogies of Knowledge Network (prof. Mona Baker)