A saccade is a rapid movement of the eye, absorbing and locating interesting parts of a scene and building up a mental “map” - an appropriate analogy to the task and challenges of this project. We build a strategic “map” for institutional capacity building and human resources for health development in our two partner institutions Jimma University (JU) and St. Paul's Hospital Millenium Medical College (SPHMMC) in Addis Ababa.
Activities include providing PhD level education, leadership training and other courses update and strenghten the competencies of academic staff responsible for teaching at JU and SPHMMC, thus building capacity at individual and institutional level.
On the institutional, regional and national level our partnership will develop and strenghten curriculum and teaching methods in master and PhD programs, thus in a long term perspective improving the educational system and establishing networks which will result in more and better research with local relevance and impact, reduced brain drain and improved health care - which is imperative for further growth and development.
The research performed in SACCADE is related to direct patient care, health extension workers, nursing and allied health professionals, and include care models from the kebele and woreda up to regional level.
- Outcome 1 – More and better qualified staff relevant to needs of Ethiopia and Africa
- Outcome 2 – More and better research relevant to Ethiopia and Africa
- Outcome 3 – Establish systems for strong institutional capacity for knowledge dissemination, quality assurance and research ethics at Jimma University and St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College
- Outcome 4 – Ensure equal opportunities for female staff at Jimma University and St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College
College of Public Health and Medicine Science at Jimma University in Ethiopia is the main PI of the project, with Institute of Health and Society at University of Oslo and St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College in Addis Abeba as partners.
- Dean Muluembet Abera; College of Public Health and Medical Science, Jimma University Ethiopia – main PI
- Senior adviser Dr. Jeanette H. Magnus; Faculty of medicine, University of Oslo – Partner 1
- Dr. Wondewosen Tsegaye; St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College – Partner 2
The project leadership team at the beginning in 2013: Ato Kora Tushune Godana (Vice President, Business and Development, JU), Jeanette Magnus (Head of Institute of Health and Society,UiO), Ato Fikre Lemessa (PhD, President of Jimma University), professor Abraham Haileamlak (Dean of College of Public Health and Medicine Science, JU).
- December 2013 - December 2020