Kirsten Bjørklund Holven
The main research interest of the Research Group to understand the impact of cholesterol exposure on early atherosclerosis and the effect of cholesterol modulation through medical and dietary means including cholesterol exposure in utero and the impact on offspring Health.
Mild hypercholesterolemia is primarily lifestyle-induced, but more severe hypercholesterolemia is often caused by a genetic disposition such as familial hypercholesterolemia (FH). FH is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by increased LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C) levels, increased risk for premature atherosclerosis and CVD. FH represent thus an ideal model-disease for studying premature CVD and of the benefits of early intervention to prevent CVD.
In Europe, people aged 65 years and older will be the fastest growing segment of the population in the coming decades. The ageing process may be influenced throughout the whole life span and factors like healthy lifestyle (e.g. healthy dietary intake, physical activity, no-smoking), psychosocial factors and socio-demographics may influence healthy ageing.
The research group is involved in projects delineating the role and impact of nutrition and catabolic stressors on healthy ageing
We are performing clinical studies with patients or healthy individuals and the effects of the interventions are studied at cellular and molecular level.
By using comprehensive metabolic profiling we can more precisely define phenotypes and understand the impact of different interventions. This information will enable us to give more precise medical treatment (personalized medicine) and dietary advices (personalized nutrition).
Bachelor courses in nutrition: ERN 3100, ERN 3200, MED3300.
- 2007- Professor in Clinical Nutrition
- 1998-2007: Researcher/post.doc
- 1991-1997: PhD in nutrtion
- 1984-1990: Nutrition physiologist (ernæringsfysiolog)
- 1993-1995 Member of the board in the Norwegian Society of Nutrition
- 2003-2007 Member of the board in the Scandinavian Society of Atherosclerosis Research
- 2007- member of education Committee, Department of nutrition
- 2014-2018 Deputy leader of education Committee, Department of nutrition
- Sept 2018- Leader of of education Committee, Department of nutrition
- The National Advisory Unit on FH, OUS-HF
- The Lipid Clinic, OUS-HF
- Inst for Internal medicine, OUS-HF
- Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, NL